Monday, August 20, 2007

Book Review : Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows by J.K Rowlings

Haa……. Closure at last. I finally got the answers to the questions that built up since I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.

Let me tell you this, although Ms Rowling definitely was inspired by works of J.R.R Tolkien, Eva Ibbotson and others, enough for some critics to accuse her of plagiarism, her books was a well thought one, and I am sure it was all done by her. As if, when she wrote the first one, she had already known what is the ending and all the small details in between and cleverly divided the concept into 7 installments and ingeniously add and embellish to make the books whole and the stories longer and linked. So that must be her own ingenuity then, yeah ? Just like Tolkien. Just like C.S Lewis.

What I like about her style is that her books are easy to read. I also love how she made her characters constant that we could predict how each and everyone would re-act. She had also cleverly developed the characters, not making them stuck to their childish behaviour, allowing them to grow and mature. She had skillfully maintained the essence of the books. Wonderful woman.

Of course there are aspects of this final book that I don’t like. Well one, is the body count. I have learnt to love the characters so much that I shed sad tears whenever one died ( especially since I already know what they are supposed to look like from the movies ). And I hate the ending… 14 years later what happened to Harry Potter. She allowed us a glimpse of his future, but it was so scant, that I thought, surely, there should be an 8th one ? I just want to know how Harry proposed to Ginny, their wedding and all and of course how did Hermione and Ron got hitched ? Also, who is the new Minister of Magic ? Where are they working now ? I mean what are they doing ? Is Harry an Auror ? A Quidditch player ? How is George keeping up with Fred’s death ?

I am not satisfied with the book because I want to know more. Damn !! ( what an oxymoron, closure at the beginning and its very opposite at the end…).
Oh... dear, dear Severus Snape.

9 comments:

Nuyui said...

it's just sad that the book ends just like that. i mean, we're all very attached to it. we already know who the characters too well! it's sad really. and i miss severus snape. hahaha after years of loathing him. hehe

Cik Puan Kamil said...

I know what you mean Rashidah. Now we have to suffer from Harry POtter withdrawal syndrome !!. Ha ha...

I have to confess that my main intention when I read the book was to find out if Severus Snape was actually good. He was !! Menyesal condemn dia....

Nuyui said...

Yea true! I'm glad that he's loyal to Dumbeldore until his death. Anyway, have you read any Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella? It's hilarious!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

I have Rashidah... except for the last one, Shopoholic and Baby sebab it is still in hardback. I memang tak nak beli hardback because I can get 2 and a half paperback for the same price !! He he....

Tell me a bit about yourself...

Nuyui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nuyui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nuyui said...

I have it and I haven't read it yet! That's because I'm currently re-reading all of the Harry Potters. Plus, my boyfriend keeps on complaining because I'm always nagging boring when I have no books left to read. hehehe

About me? I'm a third year full-time student in Universiti Brunei Darussalam taking BSc Education major in Chemistry. Early 20s. : )

Anonymous said...

...and Myra, where did you buy the book? MPH? he he he he can get it from Carrefour..much (more) cheaper :)>

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Yup I did buy it from MPH... takpelah, I collected points... he he...

You are just like me... we definitely have to have a book to read. I have a book in the car, in my hnadbag and at home. Just in case...