Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Book Review : If Andy Warhol Had A Girlfriend by Alison Pace

I love going to book sales because those are the only times I dared to buy books from suspicious looking and sounding authors. Those are the times when I am allowed to not judge a book by it’s cover because the cover is cheap. This is the only time I could gamble my money to buy works by unknown writers.

I have been successful a few times and there were times when I just fling the book out and cross the author from my list.

Anyway during the recent Times Bookstore sale in PJ, I bought the above-mentioned book by the above-mentioned author and I was captivated. This is definitely one of my success stories. The book was wonderfully written, the language simple. I hate books where the author tried to impress readers with their vocabulary prowess and difficult sentence structure. Usually we ended up confused and had to re-read the same sentence over and over again, to make head and tails of what was going on ( especially crucial when you read a whodunit book ).

I totally could relate to the heroine as we share the same fears and wishes and hopes. There are some weird Christmas scene about a game that involved the family schnautzer, but it was just minor part and excusable.

The book tells the story of Jane who worked for an art gallery. Her boss is difficult and rude and some of her colleagues came to work armed with knives specially designed for back stabbing. On top of it all ( plus being unceremoniously dumped by her Texan boyfriend ) she was forced to travel for 5 months with the country’s newest art prodigy and was dreading it.

But of course, never think negatively of anybody unless you know for sure he is rotten and totally deserves it. The book predictably ends with a lovely lovey-dovey scene, but that is what we always hope for, ain’t it ?

PS : Saw Sumolah again some time ago. Somehow, I was not as impressed as I was before. I was rather blah to me, the second time around. Apa jadi yek ? Maybe because when I saw it at the movies the first time, I was 3 seats away from the screen and developed a headache halfway through ? Possibly…..