Monday, October 02, 2006

Mail balik uni

Waaa.... semalam sedih lagi. My baby brother pulak went back to his uni. Takpelah, at least dapat puasa and terawikh with him. Mail was a special baby. I remember it like it was yesterday. Mummy gave birth to him on the 11th of January 1986 and it was a Thursday. Ayah and I waited at the hospital for his arrival when the doctor came to see us. There are complications he said. If things go wrong, we have to choose between the baby or the mother. I cried there and then. My father looked stunned. We were then ushered to see Mummy before they do a C-section on her.
.
When we get to her, she was already drugged, well I could tell from the head lolling side to side .When she saw us, the only thing she said was " Save my baby, " over and over again. Ayah comforted her as best he could before we were asked to leave. It was a harrowing wait for us. The doctor ( Datuk Dr Menon helped deliver all my siblings except for Pek and myself ) finally came out again and said Ayah could go and see Mummy and their new son. I waited anxiously outside, my mind playing out multiple scenes inside the room ( each one more tragic then the last ). Ayah then came out and invited me in and I saw my baby Mail for the first time. But in all seriousness, I was not that eager on meeting him. I wanted to see if my Mummy was okay. She was there, her eyes closed. I touched her nose, praying for the feel of carbon dioxide when she opened her eyes briefly before it closed again. I was 1o at that time.
.
Mail, I decided, have to take an extra effort to make Mummy happy. She was willing to sacrifice her life for him. I have never let Mail forget that and by doing so, he had always said I am hard on him. True, but I see no other way.
.
However I suppose Mail, you have reached at least 60% of understanding why I do it. My little baby brother you do bring so much joy to her, with your violin and your singing and your antics. The house is considerably quiet without your presence. You brought joy to all of us... Belajar baik - baik dik. Sayang Ala...

No comments: