Monday, February 04, 2008

Book Review : The Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

Haii….. Well….. It is hard for me to find an opening for this review. It is a long awaited book. A book that I first saw in London, was about to take it when I saw another book on display that I was looking for at that time. I thought.. well I could always find this book in Malaysia but I didn’t and little did I know that was my last visit to London because I quit my job… he he… wasn’t anticipating that either… (well I was hoping I could but did not foresee that I would quickly find another job…)

Anyway, I fell in love with Ms Ibbotson when I read her Song For Summer. It is a simple book, rather short for a novel but was marvelous anyway. Then I bought Madensky Square, although not as superior to A Song For Summer but was better than most books I read.

Anyway, after much calling mph and Kinokuniya, I was truly blessed when 1 phone call I made out of boredom said “ Ada kak. Tinggal lagi satu. “ What ? I quickly enquired other titles they have and a week after that I was the proud owner of 3 Eva Ibbotson books.

The book is about Anoushka or Anna, a Russian Countess who had to work in a stately house of a British blue blood to support her family after they fled the war in Russia penniless. This story tells of a girl who was so humble about her noble birth, she didn’t mind the calluses and blisters on her hands in order to support her family.

She fell in love with the lord of the manor and he too couldn’t fight his attractions to her. But of course true love must follow thorny path to truly triumph and difficulties came in the form of the earl’s wicker fiancée and her struggle to keep her identity a secret.

Sounds simple enough ? It is, but the storyline is beautiful.

Hmmm……………….

No comments: