Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Movie Review : Speed Racer and Iron Man

Spectacular ! Speed Racer is a fun movie. I was thoroughly entertained even though I did came out of the wayang a bit dizzy because of the high speed racing and the cars going round and round. You won’t feel sleepy watching this movie because of the bright colours. I mean really vivid colours as the sceneries were all computer graphics. Bright blue skies, dizzyingly white puffy clouds, too pink and too yellow flowers… well.. you get my meaning. Therefore the chances of the movie inducing epileptic seizures is there, I think. You have been warned..

Susan Sarandon and that guy from Rosanne were really good and so was that cute doctor from Lost … although you can’t really judge because he wore a mask 90% of the time. Christina Ricci was okay too although her playing a sweet girl needs some getting used too. Apparently I haven’t seen much of her other movies because I keep seeing her as the morbid Wednesday Addams.

That Japanese/Korean/Chinese (he looked like that fella Rain… but I don’t know) was really good. His anger and his shock when Mach 5 entered the Grand Prix (some Grand Prix.. Michael Schumacher wouldn’t set his pedals on that circuit) looked well placed and well timed. And I so love the monkey…

Some review I make since I only know the name of 2 of the actors…

The theme is good. Something that you could watch with your kiddies and explain about cheating and fixing sports results and such. It is also about family sticking together, and fathers’ holding grudges (this is good to discuss with your spouses.. something you can say to him/her if ever your unfortunate turn comes.."Ingat dak cerita Speed Racer kita tengok dulu-dulu tuh ? Bapak dia kata kalau tak ikut cakap dia jangan balik lagi… haa…. Lepas tu anak tu tak balik terus… Ndak jadi macam tu ?…"). So you know.. it is good… he he…
My son thoroughly enjoys it. He was gripping his seat when the races were on and was shouting encoragement to the Mach 5. So, good yeah...

Iron Man is also a good movie even though I feel that Robert Downey Jr doesn’t make a convincing Iron Man/Stark. I dunno… I expected more from him I suppose. Maybe because he doesn’t look the part. Maybe the too blasĂ© attitude ? I just didn’t feel that he was really into playing the part. Dan said Iron Man is like that.. you know very nonchalant, looks bored 24/7… well okaylah I suppose.

Jeff Bridges playing a villain is something that I need to get used to but he was excellent. Gwyneth… well… Okay maybe as a whole the movie is good but… if you scrutinize it, things just don’t gel.

Put it like this lah… I watched it the first time with my family and it was good (although I was already not really convinced with Robert Downey Jr then) but when I watched it for the second time with a colleague, I was watching it critically. Don’t get me wrong, the fighting scenes and the gadgets and the whatnots that make a good action movie is there… but something was missing…..

If you are a comic fan or somebody who loves the idea of superheroes, watch it. But if you want a truly great movie, well…..

But whatever it is, the war scene looked too real for comfort. The scene where they were ambushed and the soldiers died one by one, with explosions and gunfires aplenty was rather scary. Come on America, bring your boys and girls home. Vote for Obama and you can have your young uns back. Nobody likes to be invaded. Nobody….

2 comments:

Nuyui said...

It was Bi Rain. hehehe

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ohh.. nama dia bukan Rain je ke ? Bi Rain ? Not reakky Korean is it ?