Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My mother's cooking

Some weekends, like last weekend, I thought about my mother’s weekend mamak fare. Dulu – dulu, when I was a wee lass my mummy would open her Indian kitchen. Out came the flat pan and we would be whopping in delight.

Roti canai today, murtabak next week and my favourite puris the week after. Let’s not forget her delectable chapattis… Yummm… And her curries… wow… for a Perakian, her curries are really good (especially kari kuting – kuting is udang as per Umar’s dictionary).

Her murtabak mostly contained ground beef instead of onions as per those being sold at mamak restaurants. We could only stomach her red onion chutney as we would always throw those that came with store bought murtabaks.

Her puries ? Soft and crispy at the same time, small and inflated in the middle, just the way I like it. It is hard to find puris on sale here in Malaysia. I could only find them when I attend Indian’s kenduris really and nowhere else. Oh… well… I am quite able making them on my own but it is not the same as my mum’s. In fact, nothing I make could taste like hers…. Why ?

So last weekend, while my children were eating roti canai at Cili Merah, and while I tucked in my assortment of kuihs, I missed my mother’s Indian kitchen and its gastronomical delight.
Hmmm………..

No comments: