Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My mother's kari kuting

Kenapa aku masak tak sedap macam mak aku masak ? Why ? Why ? Why ?

I cooked kari kuting for Saturday lunch and although it was nice in its own right (chewah), but it not near as lovely as my mom’s. If my mother made it, the kuah would be so lovely, we could eat it on it's own...hirup santan... he he....

Sunday dinner I made mee bandung. My kids slurped and slurped and had seconds and my mom-in-law polished her bowl, but I know if my mom made it, my kids will have a third helping and so will Dan’s mom. I am sure I will re-fill my bowl 5 times, at least.

She taught me how to cook so I know I didn’t do anything wrong, well… basically lah. What didn’t I put enough ? The tomato sauce ? The kuting ? Should I rebus the daging longer ? Would it make a difference if add in the ketchup towards the end ?

The last time my mom made mee bandung was about 3 weeks ago. We ate greedily and Shera shouted between mouthfuls to my mother who was cutting fruits in the kitchen, “Sedaplah, Mi !” repeatedly.

Let’s not talk about her cok udang lah… I mean.. it is just simple ain’t it ? But why is hers so crispy and light and anggun to the tongue ? Why ? Why ? Why ? Ijat’s friends once even asked my mom to bungkus some for him to take back to college. He he…. Sebelum dia datang pun he would ask if Mummy would be cooking….

Kalau mummy masak, all of us would go to her house in droves. Some would tapau and some would just eat there…Telur goreng pun cantik. The edges brown and crispy and the yolk not too runny but definitely not firm either ( she knows if the yolk is firm, we would only eat the whites. She would find yellow eggs as leftovers ). Kadang-kadang bila aku ke atau adik2 aku ke yang goreng telur (even ikan bilis), my dad would take one look at it and said, "Ini mesti Ala yang goreng ni...." Cess !!!
Dulu my friend Shazleen selalu datang rumah and one day after eating my mother's chicken congee she whispered, "Your Mummy masak apa pun sedap kan ?" I know !!
Jadi kenapa aku masak tak jadi ? Kenapa ? Kenapa ? Kenapa ?

Camana nak buat ni ?

2 comments:

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

i bet one day elsa will say the same things about u.. heheh..

tapi kan.. betui la.. aku masak kari pun tak sedap mcm mak aku masak... dah ikut resepi SEBIJIK! why why why!!!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Oh Konot. Aku sungguh kasihan pada mu...