Friday, June 06, 2008

Book Review : Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾ by Sue Townsend

I have seen this book on the shelves of the countless bookstores I went to. I have taken them down, read the synopsis at the back of the cover, put them back and picked another book instead. I have even bought 3 other titles by the same author but somehow I never picked this one up. What a fool I was because when I finally had the courage to do so, I was mesmerised by it. The book was really good. It was funny. And funny is very important.

It gave me an insight of the mind of a 13 year old (oh, yeah and ¾) which I should say seemed familiar (oii…! It was only 19 years ago for me okay… Man…. 19 years ago doesn’t sound recent does it ? Maybe a miscalculation… 32… minus 13…. Calculator !! God !! Who am I kidding ? It was a long time ago … What was I doing when I was 13 ?).

Anyway, for a 13 year old male, Adrian is quite a disciplined journal writer. He poured his heart out on the angst of being a teenager, like zit (he obsessively checks his face in the mirror and wanting to eat good food to promote good skin…) and girlfriend (Pandora but sometimes people call her Box, which Adrian finds funny and I find totally hilarious).

He also wrote about his mother’s meetings with their next door neighbour, never realizing that his mother was having an affair with him until it was too late. He also talked about his father and grandma and the senior citizen he helps in a Help the Aged program. He actually recommended quite a few good books actually, interesting books that he read in his attempt to be an intellectual. Expect a very observant, cynical, compassionate and bright young lad, surviving life.

It is a wonderful book, cleverly written, making me think that Ms Townsend was actually 13 when she wrote this. There is more to Adrian. His diary didn’t stop at 14. In fact there are about 3 more of his diaries being sold at bookstores.

But alas, I shopped for this month ration at MPH Shah Alam, which is rather small. That means they didn't stock up on any of Ms Townsend's books (I really should sit on MPH advisory committee or something like it). I might have to go for another shopping trip next week if my literary purchases were bad choices.

Read it.

PS : Nuyui, I wonder if you ever take up any of my recommendations ? Just wondering…. because I could see we have the same taste in books…

5 comments:

Nuyui said...

I would love to read those books but sadly, I couldn't find any of those titles in Brunei. I usually bought my collection from Singapore and recently from KL (itu pun kena suruh orang yang beli).

Oh yes, I'm coming to KL next year (I know lama lagi, because I got free tickets!), Insya Allah. Which book store should I go to? Last time my Mom bought me books from Kinokuniya.

Have you read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert? I simply LOVE that book!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

All bookstores are good. MPH, Kinokuniya or Borders. However the trick is to go to a big store and not a small one, like the MPH store near where I live. So visit bookshops at popular shopping malls like KLCC, Mid Vally, One Utama, The Curve etc..

And if you ever come, inform me first then maybe we can meet up !!

Nuyui said...

Of course I will. hehe

Anonymous said...

i love your review, truly inspiring

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Thank you, Anon.... I has been too long.. I have forgotten about this post.