Thursday, October 16, 2008

Good Morning ?

What a morning. Well… everyday has been rather strange since I moved house. Well new house, new environment yeah ? Still trying to get used to the noise the house makes, plus the noise from the traffic outside (unfortunately our backdoor neighbour is a persiaran), the noise my neighbours make… Well that is just the noise aspect of things. We have to adjust to the temperature of the house too, the new faces of neighbours, even the amount of sunlight we get is something to get use to. Basically, everything is novel, fresh, we need to adjust… so everything is a still a revelation.

Well apart from one thing. The cat with a bell in its collar still has not revealed itself although I have been hearing it jingling and chiming about since we moved. My daughter too makes a tinkling sound that came from her anklet. Sometimes I couldn’t discern between the two bells’ sounds but whenever it was my daughter, I would at least hear her voice (mostly I would see her because a large amount of the time she would be looking for me).

But this jingling sound that came from the cat remained a sound because I have never laid my eyes on the wretched thing. It is never visible but I can see the wave of destruction (that is of course an exaggeration) it makes around me very clearly, thank you very much.

I plant my terung and my bendi in a trough. A trench maybe. I actually asked the contractor to make window boxes for flowers but instead I got a trough. A huge one with high walls, just below my knees (this is again something that I hate, just like my patio tak jadi… benci aku). So on this said trough walls, at the side walls to be exact, I lovingly placed 3 flower pots on each side. Lovely bell shaped flowers on the right (the purple one is dying because my husband cleverly sprayed it with Ridsect… adding my ever growing list of Benci Aku) and lovely small flowers in bunches on the left.

Every morning I would find the fuschia pot (I have purple, shocking pink and fushcia) on the floor, overturned and dried. Every day I would pick it up, put it back at its rightful place as I intended for it to be and apologising and cajoling for it to live while I water it. Everyday when I return home for work, it will look much better, giving me hope.

Repeat cycle.

We of course blame it on the cat. What else is there to blame ? Milli Vanilli’s entreaty to hold the rain responsible doesn’t make sense because only one pot is ever knocked down. The same one every single day.

But today !! Today !! Dear friends, today is a mystery (I have another mystery that I had written yesterday, intending for today’s post… but that has to wait. This is more fresh and urgent) ! The rising of the sun is as sure as the tergolek-ness of my fuschia plant but today…. the pot went missing !! Exactly. Shocking ain’t it ? Eyebrow raiser ain’t it ? I looked at the very naked bottom of my fuschia plant with its roots exposed trying to get my bearings. My eyes swept the area but I didn’t see the pot. I looked underneath my car, around it, in the drain… but nada. I just couldn’t find the damn pot.

I scanned the length of my driveway and my very scant lawn but it just couldn’t be seen !! What had the chiming cat done with my pot ? Dumbstruck. Dumbfounded. Flabbergasted. Astonished. Surprised. Terkedu. Terkejut. Semua ada...

In my head, I tried to imagine how the cat pilfered my pot. How did it carry the loot away ? What does it want to do with the pot ? Then I thought, maybe it had an accomplice. A monkey perhaps because I do not know any species in the animal kingdom that is local to Malaysia other than a monkey (beruk le) that is able to carry things in its nefarious hands.

Hmm… however it just occurred to me the cat could be carrying the poor pot in its mouth… yeah… never thought of that… But ! The question remains why does it want with my pot ? And why such a grudge with the fuschia one ? It never disturbed the other two. Maybe the colour got to him ?

Come to think of it.….. well actually maybe the apparent bullying the fuschia one is suffering in the hands (or paws) of this elusive cat could explain the death of my first fuschia plant.

Before Ramadhan, Babah and I went to Sg Buloh with Adik and Ana. These lovely girls love flowers and were having such a good time oohhinnh and aahhhiiingg the many flowers on offer, I allowed them to choose one each. Both of them chose the same kind of flower as the bullied fuschia (sorry… I do not know the name… nanti aku check). Adik chose purple and Ana chose fuschia.

Everything was fine and dandy, blooming on the patio. One day my grandma came and fell in love with the purple one. She took it home with her and the very next day the fuschia one that was left behind began to brown. The day after it totally dried up and died. I wondered out loud (to my family, of course) if it died because it was missing its’ friend but…. maybe …. just maybe…. the stupid cat did something to it. It was after all fuschia and the one that keeps getting knocked over at this present time is again fuschia…. Hmmm……

Anyway, after making my despair known, I started to water the plants. I wish I didn’t because lo and behold !! Guess what I found on my patio when I went to water my red flowers (that is my only red one. I do not like red flowers for some reason) ? CRAP.

Yup… cat crap. It is one thing crapping at my terung… it is dekat tanah and therefore very much ignorable… but on the tiles on my patio ? This is too much. It needs to be washed ! I have no maid, so it is either me or Babah. Man !! As I stood there staring at it, my mouth ready with expletives, I heard the very soft ringing of a bell. I waited for Adik to emerge. I even called out her name but no answer. It must be that damn cat.

Then Babah came out the door, all handsome in his work clothes, and refused to clean up. Cess. Adik and I waved goodbye to our men and as I was about to enter the house Adik gave a loud gasp. “Mummy !! Look !!” She hollered and when I looked at where she pointed I shuddered. Oh tuhan !! Cacing !! A long (almost a foot, I’m sure), fat and very pink worm was eemm…. walking ? wiggling ? slinking ? slithering ? towards our patio. It must have been underneath Babah’s car all this while.

I quickly yanked my daughter in and slammed the door shut with a loud bang. “Where is it going you think ?” I asked. “I don’t know Mummy. Maybe he wants to tell us something because hari tu dia dah datang dah ….” Said my daughter, eyes wide with horror. Banyak le kau.

If you read the entry I posted today (posted today, written yesterday… tak sempat post semalam) in my children’s blog, you would be acquainted with “Me, Adik and the worm story”. And therefore you would know of our absolute aversion towards worms. Yuck !!

When I was ready for work a good 30 minutes after the door slamming, Adik was waiting for me outside by the door. I asked her if she could still see the worm. “Tu !” She said, nonchalantly. Aiikk ? Dah tak takut dah ke ? I looked and saw that it was already halfway through my patio but it looked like it’s going to my sliding door as it was going north-east instead of north, where the lawn is. Damn !

I legged it before I have to handle it.

So that is why this morning is what a morning because of all this.

4 comments:

Sheik said...

huih aku mmg anti kucing kalau berak suka-suka hati. tips utk ajar kucing yg kurang-ajar. Tangkap.Pastu tonyoh muka dia kat @!#@@ tu...pastu dia akan pening lalat kejap. Bust rest assured musti dia tobat punya nak buang merata-rata. Cara ni mmg kejam tapi effective.

Tapi apa-apa hal kena la tangkap dulu. Make a bait.. letak makanan kucing. Lepas 3 hari jgn letak, tapi musti dia datang dan tunggu hoping makanan ada..pastu berbaik-baiklah..last-last baru tangkap...hehee

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Mak aku pun guna tactic tu untuk kucing kat rumah.... But first I have to catch the cat. Second... how can I ensure my tangan tak kena taik kucing tersebut.

Hmmm.... guna tangan Dan lah !!

Anonymous said...

Salam, kalau kucing tu dah berak kat tanah pun, you kena make sure you buang the crap together with the bit of tanah around it so that the smell would be gone, otherwise the cat will berak again kalau dia tersmell balance crap dia tu, yucks! Small plants kalau kena k@#$%^g with cats will kojol, infact cats selalu lepak on my collection paku pakis undernearth my palm trees smapai patah riuk the leaves!sigh!!! Nasib le itu alley cats so boleh jugak halau with penyapu, nak zalim sangat takut jugak coz cats kesayangan Rasulullah! On the tiles lagi haru? Good Luck!!!

Kak Gardener.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Salam Kak. Thank you for your advise. I will paksa my husband to take it out. Actually segan gak sebab semalam my friends datang and bila jenguk tengok pokok terung tu adalah hadiah dari kucing nak kena belasah tu dok mengering kat situ.

Uwekk..