Sunday, November 17, 2013

Of weddings and bubuq....

This weekend I went to 2 weddings. I love weddings and usually wouldn't miss any invitation. Walaupun for some obscure friend's sister's menakan. So going to these 2 weddings meant that I had the same menu twice in a row. The usual ayam masak merah, daging masak hitam and dalca. I told Kamil that for our kids' wedding, we will serve lemon chicken and kangkung belacan.

Apparently ice-cream is the trend du jour as it was served on both weddings. Not that it is a complaint, mind you. The best thing though is one wedding served fresh apam balik. Sigh.... nice...... The other wedding pulak served bubur caca, which is a nice surprise.

I love bubur, all the variety. My mom always made gandum and kacang hijau. Sometimes she would make the ones with ... errmmm.... the round discs made with tepung kanji. Oh... and pengat pisang. I love them. My mom's pengat pisang is the best, the soft golden bananas, jostling for space with beautiful sago.... With just the right amount of gula merah and salt. My favourite is jagung though (I love jagung... ) which I get from outside or from my biras. My friend talked about the nangka variety which I have never got the privilege to taste and yearn and yearn for. I don't make them at home though cause Kamil hates them. My kids gawked at them like they come from Kryptonite.... So no point, really. Makan sorang memang tak best.

Plus the santan.... Hmm.... My butt has rivalled those of Kim Kardashian, so maybe it is a good thing, hey ?

Last month mum made bubur gandum. I tapaued them for breakfast at the office. It was so nostalgic partaking them. Every bite filled with memories, made me feel safe..... Once while we were ensconced in London, MIL made bubuq kacang. She was soo cute, Mak... She had forgotten how to make them and asked me if we need to rendam the kacangs first. Hehhehehhe... Anyway, Mak's bubuq was soooo good too. I remember always stealing some from the kitchen, taking more than my fair share. Hey.. I figured since Kamil doesn't eat them, I was just taking his allocation kan.... Hahahhaha... *Malu*.

Sigh... Sometimes I do feel that all these melancholic bouts that I am experiencing is the onset  of depression. Maybe... I will go crazy.... Big maybe.... 

Heh...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were in vietnam for almost a decade. We got to attend numerous weddings of the vietnamese. While the vietnamese have lavish menu, the muslim vienamese i.e champa people, normally have a simple menu which you never get bored. They would serve the guests with soup that has loads of vege inside. and daging masak rempah something like rendang plus all the ulam. And that's it. Before eating they will dip their finger in a bowl of garam which is also part of the menu....no chicken because it's expensive. And weddings always take place during hari raya haji because then they can use the qurban cow for the kenduri and the whole kampung folks are invited. It is a pleasant experience and we treasure it so much. We do and still miss the people a lot. Kami rasa sangat dikasihi......haish beremosilah plak....but its true...

Cik Puan Kamil said...

That is a really nice story. Thank you, Anon !