Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My sweet Rashdan

A typical dining ritual with the family I was born to would involve setting up the table. Tablemats would be laid first followed by the plates. Then the glasses and beverage. Out came the rice next with the day’s fare. After that the spoons ( or cutleries ) and the usual announcement that dinner is served. Sit down, makan, lecture…….

So of course with the family that I made, we have the same custom. Umar will usually set the table and helped with the spoons. I love eating like that. However when we moved in with Dan’s family they have no such habit and I was too embarrassed to observe what I am accustomed to. Don’t want to look like a show off I suppose, after all it is not my house. Different families different habits. So we did without. It doesn’t matter, it is not important as our bellies are still filled up even without all the pom-poms.

Once we dined at a friend’s house. The table was lovingly set like we used to. Umar exclaimed happily that it looked like Tok Mi’s house. He he…

Anyway, yesterday Dan’s parents went to Australia. I prepared dinner as usual and as I got to the table with our steaming hot food, I saw my tablemats were out from their drawers and were arranged nicely on the table. Forks and spoons sat next to each other alongside the bowls.

I looked at my husband who was beaming at me. Umar and Elsa were already reaching out for their cutleries for imaginary sword fight.

“ Thank you… “ I said to my husband and we sat down to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sweet...