Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cinta and The Wedding

My husband and I watched a good movie yesterday. It was good, we cried ( not buckets lah but a few linangan ) and were thoughtful afterwards. I was pleasantly surprised because it was a Malay movie called Cinta that heavily borrowed one of my favourite movie’s concepts. Although the concept is the same but the little stories are different. Although Love Actually is a feel good movie, Cinta brought tears to our eyes.

The direction was wonderful and the cinematography was admirable. The acting was.. well, not bad. Vaneeda Imran’s husband ( I really have forgotten his name ), Rita something, Pierre Andre, Sharifah Amani, her mom, Rahim Razali and the child actress who played Lis were good. Eizlan Yusof was okay. And the love portrayed was excellent.

I love the scene where Que Haidar and Nanu were little and Nanu was trying to comfort her little brother who was spooked by the thunders. I love the scene where Lis wanted to follow her Dad because she wanted him to be happy like he was before her mom left. I wonder and salute the love her dad ( laki si Vaneeda Imran tu ) has for her mom, willing to let go as long as she is happy. Weirdly I could see the love she has for him although it has turned into brotherly love.

I love my husband for reaching for my hand for comfort. During romantic scenes, he would entwine his fingers with mine. It made an impact on him especially when Rita and that husband of Vaneeda’s who met when they were 18 and she ended up leaving him for another guy… Me ? When Rahim Razali said that “Isteri itu adalah satu anugerah”, I jumped from my reclining position and asked him if he heard that. At the end of the movie he said “ Memang senanglah Cikgu ( Rahim Razali ) tu cakap macam tu sebab dia ada Alzheimer. Esok, dia dah lupa dah perangai bini dia hari ni… “ Cess…..

Although there were some cringe worthy scenes that reminded you that it is a Malay movie after all. Like Eizlan’s over-romantic first date dinner for Fasha that would have had me run a mile a minute if it was done to me and mamat laki si Vaneeda’s romantic dinner at an abandoned restaurant. I keep saying, “ Come on…. !! “ until Umar asked “ Why Mom ? Is it because it is too romantic ? “ I narrowed my eyes at him and said, no…… I don’t want him to think that being romantic is wrong. My mission had always been to make him on of the best husbands in the world. I do not want his wife to come to me and complain. I want to groom him to be a perfect gentleman…. Wish me luck.

Another cause for my tears ( now it is me alone, my husband just pat my head when he found me crying ) is another great book by Nicholas Sparks called The Wedding. It is a continuation of his earlier creation, The Notebook. Now let me tell you about Nicholas Sparks. I didn’t know him at all until this wonderful person I called my boyfriend went to a bookstore in Perth with his brother and sisters. He knew how I love books and went around to look for something for me. He bought me the very book and I will be forever indebted to him.

The Notebook is a lovely, lovely love story that made me cry for days. I especially love the poem at the last page that I still regard as one of the most romantic poems ever ( well, I am not exactly an aficionado of poems ). When we returned to Malaysia, my best friend Amelia excitedly told me she had just read a great book that he borrowed from Shazmi ( which he in turn borrowed from Anu ) and wanted me to read it. It was the very same book I mentioned above. So by admission of 3 of my good friends, it is really a good book.

Now, The Wedding… well… The story is about Allie and Noah’s ( hero and heroine from The Notebook ) son-in-law who is a kayu in the romance department. So kayu in fact that he thought that his wife is leaving him because he had forgotten their 29th anniversary. So, it was his race against time to make his wife fall in love with him all over again. It was so sweet that I feel there is still hope for my husband…. He he.

Anyhoo… Amelia, nak pinjam ? And Dan, thank you so much baby for patting my head when you found me crying in the loo.

4 comments:

liadevega said...

Ala,
I nak pinjam movie Cinta tu boleh? My friends semua kata best tapi kami tak sempat nak catch it at wayang hari tu.

Den Farid said...

Cinta is a great movie, technically and the content. Hidup Melayu!

Anonymous said...

We all kat Den Haag pun dah tengok the movie , memang I respect gila the Director. To me the BEST MALAY MOVIE film I have ever watched sepanjang hidup 30 years and soon 31 years nih. Kalau we can have more of that, with that level of quality - baru I semangat banyak nak support filem tempatan.

The Wedding book tu I have to find. Can you pls give me more detail?

Cik Puan Kamil said...

The author is Nicholas Sparks... best Min.. you should read it...