Thursday, March 01, 2007

Waiting without a book = Sheer boredom

I don’t do waiting very well. At least, the kind of waiting sans any reading material. My friends and family know what degree of reader I am, ardent. Very avid ( can I use the word avid like that ? ) And therefore I found it very hard this morning when I had to wait for 1 and a half hours for my meeting to start without anything to read. Man…..

I had a meeting today at 9.30 am in PJ. Dan and I for 2 weeks now have been surviving on 1 car as Dan has sold his and we are waiting for the new one to arrive…. in August. We have been car-pooling anyway these past few months but still there are times when we need to go separately due to work commitments. My boss was kind enough to schedule this particular meeting early morning so that Dan can drop me off there and I can go to the office with him. But he didn’t take into account that I will be there at 8 and therefore the sheer amount of waiting time I had to endure.

I have anticipated this wait actually and had planned the perfect book to accompany me. But… I have forgotten to anticipate that I might forget the book. Which I did… Man……….

Like I said, I don’t do waiting very well without a book. Luckily there is a little food outlet ( too posh to be a gerai, too skanky to be a restaurant/café and too small to be a canteen ), so I had my breakfast there. No matter how slowly I ate, I finished at 8.10 am. Okay, 1 hour 20 minutes to go. Mid-breakfast it started to rain so I watched the rain. Then after awhile, all the raindrops looked eerily the same, so much alike unlike snow, so I grew bored. Wow !! 8.20 am.

Then… well this is where it got a bit dangerous. I started to think. My husband hates that as he is usually the first thing I think about and depending on my mood, it could be tiring for him. You do the math. I was bored. To bits. Of course my thinking of him veered to the unpleasant ones.

Mulalah… pasal si A. Pasal si B buat perangai. Pasal how unfair I have been treated in certain aspects of my life. I once read that orang yang berdendam, doanya sukar diterima Allah. Susah tu. Last time, I had always wanted justice. Now, although I want justice as bad, but I have taken a more calmer approach to it by remembering Allah SWT.

Baca surah al Insyira and surah Dhuha to calm ourself ( baru gained that knowledge semalam ) and my Ustaz once told me that Sembahyang Sunat Dhuha is also meant to keep us composed. Perform this prayer, said Ustaz, bila runsing, susah hati.

As I was seething ( imagine not 30 minutes ago I was tranquilly watching the rain ), when my boss arrived. Nasib baik as I am sure if I had to wait the full 1 and ½ hours alone, Dan will surely get it from me about some minor thing he did eons ago, like forgetting to lift up the toilet seat…. He he….

Never go anywhere without a book. My mom said, banyak kan sikit hafalan… he he…. Yelah….

2 comments:

liadevega said...

I hate waiting too so I will always try to be punctual (though not perfectly). But somehow, nowadays I rarely have to wait and that is a bless considering I'm not ulat buku macam you..haha.

Anonymous said...

i went to amsterdam last week to cari english books. jumpala american book store which sell lots of english books, not just from US. cari jugak buku Size 12 is not fat too, tak jumpa pulak. I love to read humor fiction stories yg light la. zaman2 buku romanca masa kecik2 dulu introduced by Amelia / you dah over, now I have real romance he he. So after few hours browsing we end up buying our evergreen fav books : robert kiyosaki & donald trump (why we want u to be rich), Carly Fiorina (auto bio of the ex-CEO of HP who got fired), flower picture book and bathroom idea (kununnya nak renovate bilik air kami nanti). Love to read, but byk excuse. Thanks to you I now feel motivated!