Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mak Mah sebelah rumah

Tiba – tiba hari ni aku teringat kat Mak Mah, neighbour kami masa kami tinggal kat seksyen 6. Mak Mah and suaminya Pak Chot. Depa ni mak bapak Datuk Azhar Mansur, so bila si Azhar start belayar memang terkejut beruk lah kami.

Anyway, I love Mak Mah. Many of my childhood memories included her as she taught me a thing or two.

Like how to eat siput sedut. My mother never cooked siput sedut but I love them because whenever Mak Mah had it in her menu, she would call me over (she doesn’t ask for my mom’s permission because she is the respected elder and in a Malay society, she can pretty much do anything she wants. Plus, my mother trusts her… so no worries there I suppose… Or she did ask for permission, I just never knew it…) and I would eat and eat and eat. She would sit next to me and tell me stories or just be there. It was always very comforting. I feel safe with her.

She also taught me not to chew with my mouth open. “Tak baik… hang pompuan… Malu aihh…. Katup mulut tu bila kunyah….” or something like that. I do remember her emphasizing on malu sebab perempuan, though. I listened to her so much so that one of my pet peeves is if people chew with their mouths open in front of me. I hate it. Hate it. My dad used to say every time I am due home for summer, he would caution my siblings that they must be on their best behaviour during meal times because I would be around soon. He he….

Petang-petang, we would go over to her house and play in her frontyard. I do not remember her having any children or grandchildren our age, but we kids were always playing in her lawn. Such kindness Mak Mah and her family have.

But…. Yang paling best pasal Mak Mah is she would intervene if aku kena ligan dengan my dad. Many times she would lecture my dad about his parenting skills whenever she heard me screaming. I would gratefully hug her from behind, hiding from my dad. Aku pun selalu le jerit extra sikit, enough for Mak Mah to hear and come to my rescue.

He he…… Apa habaq Mak Mah la ni, na ?

1 comment:

Sheik said...

Jiran yang baik adalah kurniaan Allah SWT.

Sebab tu masa aku ambil kunci rumah...aku selalu berdoa agar dapat jiran yang baik.

Rasulullah juga selalu berpesan supaya memerhatikan kebajikan jiran.

Teringat aku masa kecik2 dulu...aku ada jiran yang sangat annoyying dan suka mengadu domba hal ehwal keluarga aku kepada orang kampung. Nama dia PAKCIK ZAID BUNCIT.

Hehehe..apa khabar pakcik zaid buncit...aku dengar terlantar sakit kat rumah...kesian...tu semua kifarah dari tuhan tu...

aku dah lama maafkan.