Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ohh.... Babah

Aku nak tergelak ni ha…

As a rule, I will usually buy stuffs from the street peddlers. Makcik kerepek, anak-anak sekolah yang sepatutnya pegi sekolah tapi pukul 11 malam pun aku nampak masih menjaja calendar and sekarang ubat …

Aku kesian.

Don’t think I would be heading for the poorhouse if I give them my RM 10.

Anyway, yesterday we went to fetch our children from their class, Babah and I. When I got in the car, I saw a keropok seller talking to my husband, talking in his Terengganu accent.

“You nak ke keropok ?” He asked.

“Ambik je….” Was my answer.

So my husband felt around for money and when he paid, he asked “Dari terengganuNG ya….”

And terbahak-bahak le aku ketawa.

I looked at my obviously embarrassed husband.

“Babah… Terengganung ? Sejak bila ?”

“I don’t know……” I can still see him laughing with sheer embarrassment when he said that, head almost touching the steering wheel...

Ha ha !!

6 comments:

Sheik said...

Tujuh sekeluarga nak balik trengganu..

Si bapak merungut: Tujuh oghang dokleh sumbak masuk kete kancil nih

Seorang anak bagi idea: Tambah lagi soghang, baru jadi "LAPANG".

Cik Puan Kamil said...

He he

Nuyui said...

I'm very curious. I'm referring 'we' as Bruneians.
When we meet Malaysians, we speak Bahasa Malaysia, when we meet Indonesians we say 'Kok kamu dari Jawa?',
when we meet Singaporeans we say 'You know ah yesterday I went to Bugis ah, I saw blah blah blah. Like that lah!', etc.
Whatever accent, we can simply copy them but, they have the hard time to cakap Brunei. Inda jua payah wah kan cakap Brunei ani? hehe Payahkah? Cubatah bekurapak ketani dulu.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Tun Mahathir said in his book The Malay Dilemma that the Malays are very accommodating. He is right. Accent wise we are always following other people's accent.

Tapi I langsung tak paham cakap Brunei.... !! I don't think I have ever heard it so I do not know the melody of it also....

Nuyui said...

Most West Malaysians, Singaporeans, Indonesians langsung tak faham if I speak in Brunei language. Padahal sama Bahasa Melayu jugak. Unless they live in Brunei or they have Bruneian relatives or they worked in Brunei before.
inda = tidak/tak
kurapak = cakap
ketani = kita (we)

Nuyui said...

Most West Malaysians, Singaporeans, Indonesians langsung tak faham if I speak in Brunei language. Padahal sama Bahasa Melayu jugak. Unless they live in Brunei or they have Bruneian relatives.
inda = tidak/tak
kurapak = cakap
ketani = kita (we)