Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Movie Review

We have been going to the movies for 2 consecutive weekends. Two weeks ago we went to see Meet The Robinsons and last week we went to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Meet The Robinsons would pull your heart’s strings. It is about the importance of family ( usual Disney theme ) and of course about friendship. It is also about how it is okay to dream ( as it could be a reality ) and do not despair and give up if things look bleak… try and try to change your life. Also most importantly, do not hold grudges. At the end of the movie, Dan and I exchanged looks that said it all.

It taught me to support my children’s creativity. If we have the resources then why not try to indulge them ? I was cooking yesterday and the wet kitchen faces tennis courts of the condos behind us. There were 2 girls playing tennis with either their coach or dad. Boy were they good and I especially admired their strength. As I was watching them ( while keeping an eye on the fried chicken ) Umar suddenly said that he wants to learn how to be a good tennis player. Usually I would reply with “we’ll see” or “why ?” but this time I told him, “Okay, it could be arranged.”

Well why not ? Maybe his interest will only last until the chicken stool retains its warmth ( read in Malay as hangat2 taik ayam ), but at least it is something that he should explore and figure out if it could be of serious interest. I mean, what do I have to loose ? Weekend afternoon naps ? Negligable ( warghh !!!!! ).

The TMNT was fun. Especially when I read the Malay alih bahasa as Remaja Mutasi Ninja Penyu, I had glimpsed what a fun movie it would be ( really I got all that just from reading the alih bahasa ).The dialogue was witty, the animation ( or whatever that computer generated movie type is called ) was good, it was action packed.. well.. fun !! It taught we that boy are turtles fun !! ( and since when Shredder died ? )

Do I have to learn something every time I go to the movies ?. It did however evoked warm memories of sitting with my mouth open with my siblings, absorbing those green creatures’ ninja moves, deciding which one I could actually use to hurt and maim my adik beradik. Hey, I did learn something from watching TMNT !!

No comments: