Monday, April 16, 2007

Myra's Book Review

Let me tell you about 2 books that I read.

First, Never Let Me go by Kazuo Ishiguro. This is the guy who brought us the wonderful Remains of The Day and When We Were Orphans. Now, how can I describe the book ? It is very chilling and haunting without any presence of ghosts in it at all. From the first few chapters, you would be left wondering about what they were talking about and you will be so intrigued that you have to plough on. Then you will feel very much unsettled that you have butterflies in your stomach but you interest have definitely been piqued that you could not put it down. Then you sort of could guess what was going on but still very unsure before the hard truth dawns on you. When it did, you will feel the chills to your bones.

Then came the sadness and the few tears and then the hope ( you will know the hope is fruitless ) that Katherine will be spared from the madness. When you finished, I bet you will log on the net in your attempt to find out if Mr Ishiguro was making it all up. For me, I was determined to proof that it was definitely just his imagination….. Please….

Read.. my dear friends… read this. I am more than willing to lend you the book, as I am very eager to hear another opinion….

The second book I read was SUSUK, by a Malaysian author. I bought it in a bid to support Malaysian writers and because I saw the iklan many, many times on tv. Apparently, they have turned it into a movie or tv series… I am not sure. Anyway, the English was good enough and I was quite enjoying the way he writes… but the jalan cerita…. Hmm…. Very confusing. At the end of the day, you were left wondering, sapa yang ada taik lalat kat bibiaq ni ? Si Suzana ke Soraya nya ? Lepas tu, hidup ke lagi minah tu ? What happened sebenarnya ? What has that got to do with Mona ? And then who is the dark-skinned man ?

I don’t want to read it again. So I suppose I have to get my closure by watching it on the telly. My problem is… well I am not very good keeping dates with my telly. NCIS, CSI … my favourite shows pun selalu miss. Grey’s Anatomy which I dearly love pun I don’t even know what day and time it comes out… not even which channel…. Ini lagi lah….

So… I have to read it again ke ? Tak nak …..

I will buy Adibah Amin’s In Passing next.

Hmm…….

PS : Kamalia, lupa nak habaq that you can pinjam CD Cinta tu. Bila ndak habaq mai na….

3 comments:

liadevega said...

Now you tell me! I baru je beli the CD and watched it. Indeed it was a good movie, rugi tak pi tengok kat wayang.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Sorry Ya... tak teringat langsung sebab masa tu ada org pinjam... sorry

Anonymous said...

"sehari bersama dengan orang yang kita betul-betul sayang, walau macam mana perit pun, lagi baik dari seumur hidup bersama dengan orang yang kita tak sayang..

(a day with the one we truly love, despite all the pain, is way better than a lifetime with the one we do not love... )"

~Rubiah/Mak Bi from CINTA the movie~