Thursday, July 31, 2008

Book Review : Being Committed by Anna Maxted

I first became literary acquainted with Miss Maxted when she had a column in one of the glossies in England. I loved her very witty and funny and observant writings. One of her most memorable column was about herself.

Apparently, she is an adopted baby. Her adopted father was walking on the street when a man/lady approached him and offered him the baby she/he was holding. He took the baby, brought her home and named her Anna. Anna wrote how she loved her adoptive parents and was grateful that her father accepted the offer and brought her home to be raised lovingly and unconditionally. She claimed that she is not interested to know her birth parents at all because as far as she was concerned, Mr and Mrs Maxted were her real parents.

Anyway, of course I was excited when I knew that my favourite columnist wrote a book and I wasn’t prepared when I found that I didn’t like it. I was gravely disappointed and therefore had never bought any of her other books and never attempted to re-read it until now.

Surprisingly I love it now. I do not know why I didn’t like it before but my review today would be it is a good read. I was impressed that by the end of the book, I had expected what the character would do because I know her so well. She cleverly maintained all their characteristics that at the end of the day I would go “That is so typical of Hannah/Oli/Jack etc.

The book is about Hannah, P.I, un-girly, emotionally retarded, father adoring and mother hating. She refused to accept her boyfriend Jason’s proposal but went nuts when the week after her rejection, Jason proposed to another girl. So she went over to his house to get him back. However Oli gave her an ultimatun, make peace with Jack, her ex-husband.

O-oh….. Jack…. The love of Hannah’s life. Married too young and was not mature enough to handle their first major problem together. Easiest route is of course the big D. So she had to contact him and in the process of trying to get closure, she was cruelly reminded of the reason why she hated her mother.

Ohh… do read.

No comments: