Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Team Rashdan

What a day yesterday for Dan and me. Yesterday really showed what kind of a husband/wife team we make, which is the very-unsure-disorganised-if-you jumped-off-a-bridge-I-will-follow-you team. It is also, I have to say, team orang yang akal pendek dan yang panic tak tentu pasal.

I looked up my Bonuslink statement on the net yesterday and found that I have enough points to redeem RM 100 vouchers from Tesco. I thought that is a very good deal. Instead of redeeming my points for things that I do not need, it is better to get an almost money thing that I could use to buy more important stuffs like groceries. Or so I thought.

To make the story short, we went to Tesco yesterday, redeemed the points for the sought after vouchers and discussed the best way the spend it. Then we fought over it like our lives depended on it. Then we strategised and came to an agreement. The boy at the counter cautioned us that if we spend less that RM 100, no balance would be returned to us. So he said make sure our groceries cost more than RM 100. Okie dokie.

On top of the list, Elsa’s night disposable diapers. Then the industrial size and expensive children soap and shampoo. Wet wipes came next. “ Everything is for Elsa and Umar je. We should get what we want, “ said my husband. And what do you want, I asked and there was a gleam in his eyes. Junk food.

In came the biscuits and the crisps and juices, yoghurt for the kids and cans and cans of drinks. I told my husband the expected draught is in March, not January. In went more drinks. Hmm…. Men. If he was a Brit, I knew it would be cases of beers and lagers.

“ So.., “ I observed, “ this is how we spend our so called free money, on stuffs that could clog our arteries and sweeten our pee ? “ However on closer inspection, our would-be purchases didn’t look like RM 100 to me. Dan agreed. Our discussion apparently did not include looking at the price of each item and mentally estimate the whole amount. We looked to the left, to the right, not sure of our next move. The queue was long and we did not want to loose our place. But what if the final tally is less than the vouchers ? Sayangnya. We were literally jumping up and down as our turn at the cashier loomed nearer.

He eyed the boxes of Cokes near the counter and said if it is really less than the amount of the vouchers, he is just going to grab the Cokes. I looked at him in horror and said not when I am around. I told him to man the fort and ran to the beauty aisle. I grabbed shaving razors and cream and a huge supply of sanitary pads.

“ That should do it, “ he said and smiled and ruffled my head. The bill ? Well, it came up to RM 161.07. Dan and I laughed and laughed at the check out counter to the bewilderment of the cashier and people behind us.

“ Itu le you, tamak sangat… “ I said.

“ You yang pandai maths, tak tahu kira ke ? “ he accused.

As we put all the things away together at home, he held my hand and said, “ What an adventure…. “. I looked at him and said, “ Baby, how sad are we ? “

And he agreed. He he……

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lawak betui hangpa nie...boleh masuk pertandingan shopping! i could imagine how you guys running up & down kat Tesco. patut ambik gambaq ha ha

liadevega said...

That really describe the two of you, hehe...

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Itule, yang kelam kabut tu awat lah sebab bukannya ada timing... like you have to shop in 45 minutes kalau dak voucher tu lupus... hehe....

Tak pa... we now know what to do with our next vouchers.