Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Ayam dan juke box

I was marinating chicken for our dinner yesterday when I was suddenly reminded of an incident that happened years ago at a time when there were a row of shops in front of Melaka Parade.

My family loves Melaka. Don’t know why. When we go, we usually stay at the Equatorial and eat at Kak Mun’s restaurant, in front of Melaka Parade (now she has a shop next to it).

My family comes from the land of the curries but it doesn’t mean we do not like Assam Pedas and Kak Mun serves one of the best.

We were there one day, years ago. I remember that I had finished eating and my parents were busy choosing fish to be brought home. I was just relaxing and looking at my sibling crowding a juke box right in the middle of the shop.

Suddenly….. “I want to dedicate this song to my sister, A …” Came the very loud voice of my brother Syafiq. I was shocked and am very sure my eyes bulged. People, and I mean Kak Mun’s other customers looked at me.

I smiled reluctantly because deep down I know it couldn’t be good. I remember I sat up straight when he made the announcement and quickly decided that I should slink back just in case.

But… before I could, the first note of Ayam, by Jalil Hamid reached my ears and my brother started flapping his hands. People roared with laughter.

I blush easily, people have commented on that but I am so sure I went maroon that day.

Damn, I hate him.

Hmmm…. actually writing about the juke box reminded me of a separate incident.

Last time, when we were dating, we always go out with Amelia. Actually when Amelia and her husband were dating, I was always the third wheel…

I have many recollections of sitting in the front passenger seat with Babah driving and Amelia leaning in between from behind (very much like my children) and me leaning forward from behind, hands resting on the two front seat with Amelia and Sib in front. He he..

Anyway, one day Amelia, Babah and I were eating at Lot 10’s food court. There was a glistening, modern looking juke box near us and we were very excited. It was still playing a song but we approached it anyway, reading the song selections. We chose a song, Babah put in 50 sen and we waited. Our song didn’t come.

Dissatisfied, we put in more money, chose more songs but none of the songs we chose were played.

Dejected, we went back to our table, cursing and condemning the thing.

We were about to finish our food when we heard Babah's favourite 98 Degrees Song. Next came the song I chose, then Amelia’s. He he… we laughed out loud when we realised that we just have to wait for our turn.

In the telly sure whenever somebody put a coin in the jukebox the song came immediately, but this is real life.. We just have to wait in line….

Hmmm………

No comments: