Sunday, October 31, 2010

Request from across the causeway

Ah Zee who is still yet to have a blog requested for carrot cake recipe.

I love carrot cake, having eaten them when I was about 9 at a bestfriend of my mom's. Just for the record, her daughter T pushed me to it, assuring me that carrots and sugar do go well together.

However, my family doesn't share my passion. My son doesn't even like cake. Tak laku so I do not excatly have a trusted recipe. My sister-in-law uses Chef Wan's recipe and it is rather nice. Unfortunatley I do not own a copy so I cannot publish it here.

I do have one that I made once upon a time ago though and it was okay. The recipe didn't have any pineapples in it, but I added some.

So here goes;

Carrot Cake

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I melted some butter instead.. Finds butter has more oooommpppphhh than mere oil)
4 whole eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots

Mix sugar, oil and eggs. In another bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Add to first mixture and combine well. Add carrots (and pineapples if you are using them) and mix well. Bake at 17g decC for 30 minutes.

Icing

125g butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
1 lb icing sugar (please lessen the amount of sugar.. 1 pound is too much... )
2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and cheese. Add sugar and vanilla.

If you decide to try, I hope it turns out well.

Anyway Abang's condition is better this morning. All the rashes are completely gone. Now waiting for his Babah to wake up and take him to the hospital again for a spot of nebulizer.

Adiknya pagi tadi announced to us is a very, very scandalous tone that Abang, "Is playing game with his injected hand !"

At my so ? she sheepishly added, "Can I play the computer ?"

Hampeh betullah budak ni.

6 comments:

Madam Tai Tai Again said...

Good to hear that Abang is recovering well. My son had similar condition too once in Dhaka. He was given EpiPen after that to bring with him everywhere for fear the situation would re-occur. Alhamdulillah, it was just a one-off case.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Thank you. I was sooo worried. I have heard of EpiPen. Thanks I will ask his paed about it on his next appointment

Shaheera said...

Good to hear that all's well with your family again. Btw once upon a time, carrot cake was my potluck specialty. Even have a recipe for vegan carrot cake! Now that I know you love carrot cake, I shall try harder to contribute something for our next makan session:)

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Shaheera... I am waiting.....

Ah-Zee said...

the dreaded asthma gene runs in my family too so i can understand the anxieties it brings upon. glad to know umar's fine now.

Thanks myra for posting that carrot cake recipe! nanti i try test & rasa. actually this recipe is quite similar to the one i have, ie. the one with pineapple.. cuma measurement of flour, egg, oil slightly more and it uses 2 tsp of baking soda but no baking powder. i did detect however the "berangin" aftertaste of soda in my cake which i dun quite like. using a combo of baking powder and soda might hv been better as they sorta "neutralise" each other.. (i think, hehehe.. merely taking a guess in food science).

thanks again !

Ah-Zee who is still yet to have a blog and not planning to coz she's bloody lazy to upkeep one

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Thank you for your concern Ah Zee.

I think you are right about the baking soda and powder. I do have a cake recipe that only requires 2 tsp of bp. Maybe itu kot tak naik sgt ? Maybe I should add 1/2 tsp at least of bs ?

Hmmmm ?

And Ah Zee... sebulan sekali update blog pun tak pe.....