Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The thing about the dark...

That day, after we buried my Paksu in Perak, we crashed at my Uncle Mat's house in Ipoh. Tired and hungry we arrived at his gorgeous home around midnight. Learning that we have not eaten, Uncle dearest went out to buy food.

So we ate at 1 am and slept close to 2, in neat rows in the living room. But when in Perak, before azan Subuh berkumandang, I would be woken up by the sound of the front door opening. For a while, I thought it was my arwah Tok who usually berjemaah for Subuh.

But no, it is not him. It is his son who followed his footsteps. Rain or shine, work day or weekends, he and his brothers will berjemaah for Subuh. It doesn't matter if I crashed at Uncle Mat, or Uncle Kamal's house (and I suspect Uncle E's house too... I have never crashed at his place for some reason...), I will definitely hear the sound of the house keys jangling, then the opening of the door and then the azan.

Kalau Tok tu, sometimes he would leave the door open with just the grilled door closed. I sometimes would stand in front of the door and watch his retreating back to the surau, the air cool and the day still dark.

So nostalgic.

By the way, talking about dark two days ago Adik told me that she heard noises downstairs at about 3 am. She said she heard doors and drawers opening and closing and footsteps and what-nots. I reasoned it could be Bibik but she wasn't that convinced.

Anyway yesterday she asked Bibik if it was her at 3 am the day before. Bibik said no, she woke up at 5. So this little girl came running to me, breathless and bursting with news.

"Bibik cakap dia tidur pukul 3 ! Dia bangun pukul 5 ! So ada orang masuk rumah kita pukul 3 !"

"Really ? But the house wasn't disturbed !"

"Iya ! Saya dengar ada orang pukul 3 !"

While aku terbangang-bangang, I though of something. "How did you know it was 3 ?"

"I know it was 3..." Eh ? "You looked at the watch ?"

"Nope... it looked like 3...."

"How do you know it was 3 ?"

"It was dark !" Dia pulak dah naik marah.

"Pukul 5 pun still dark.... How do you know the difference between 3 and 5 ?"

"Saya tahulah. It felt like 3 !"

What ? Hello ? 

Allah, penat bergaduh....

Hmmm......

No comments: