Monday, May 07, 2007

Book Review : Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes

I remember reading a book by Marian Keyes on the plane. I was from Singapore back to Malaysian soil and I was sitting next to a mat salleh. Marian being Marian were hilarious. The guy next to me kept putting his book down to watch me laugh. After awhile, he remarked that that must be a really good book. I looked up at him, eyes twinkling and said, “ I love Irish writers. They are the best !! “ He nodded at me and I continued with my reading. I couldn’t concentrate after that though ( not just because he was kinda hot ) because it had me thinking why did I say that ? Apart from Maeve Binchy, I couldn’t think of any other Irish authors. “

I closed my book and said to him “ I’m sorry but I do not know why I said that. To be honest, I couldn’t think of any other Irish writers !! “ He smiled and said “ I know !! “ and we got to talking. His name is Paul ( Merkin I think ) and at that time was working with Manchester United ( could you believe my luck ? ). I was scheduled to go to London the month after and he graciously offered tickets for me and gave me his e-mail address. Sadly, I lost it and I was mad with regret when I touched down in London ( sadly when we met on the plane, Paul was leaving for England with his best friend’s body, who was a victim of the Bali bombing. MAS graciously offered to fly him first class back to England. He flew MAS from London to KL, stayed a few weeks in KL and Penang, went to Singapore then to his unfortunate trip to Bali ).

Anyway, whatever it is, this Irish novelist is simply marvelous. My first book by Ms Keyes was ‘ Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married’ and from then on I was hooked. It was so funny, deep and described the trial and tribulations of the singles trying to find love ( permanent one ) beautifully. Her angst and yearnings was so vivid and believable. I totally could relate to Lucy.

Her latest book is ‘Anybody Out There’ and it is just so sad. I cried because the ending is so bittersweet. It is about the 4th Walsh sister ( Rachel was in Rachel’s Holiday, Maggie was in Angels, Claire was in Watermelon and Helen hadn’t got a book yet. Next one I hope because Helen is a real interesting character ).

It is about Anna who lost her husband of less than 1 year. She was ignoring the fact that her husband died and kept on e-mailing him and leaving messages on his mobile and I just wondered why did this Aidan disappeared ? She was badly wounded and he just upped and left her alone ? Then it turned out she was just blanking out the fact that her beloved, perfect Aidan died in a car accident. The same car accident that wounded our Anna.

When she finally acknowledged that Aidan had passed on, she went crazy trying to find mediums that could contact Aidan from the other side. Then, came the startling news that so broke her heart. The news that Aidan wanted to break to her gently over the dinner. The dinner that they were trying to get to before Aidan was ruthlessly taken from her. The last dinner that Aidan had planned for them.

I liked the way she finally embraced the news even though it hurt like mad. I liked the way Aidan finally came to her from the other side at the end of the book. It was gentle and sweet and oh so sad…. I like the way it ended with promises of a new love in the future and that she actually is not alone. She has 4 crazy sisters that love her, an even battier mother, a silent, loving father ( who was lovingly ruled and trampled by the 6 opiniated women in his life ) plus marvelous and motley collection of friends that desperately tried to help her get by.

Beautiful… hmmm……………

No comments: