Friday, May 18, 2007

Magazine Review : Reader's Digest May Issue

I have been reading Reader’s Digest for as long as I could remember. My dad forced us to read it month by month and I am glad he did. This puny magazine has a lot to offer. It contains a wealth of information and stories and I can say that it will help to mould your life.

Let me tell you how it shaped mine. One very nice thing ( and the very thing that attracted me to read it when my father initially pushed it to me ) about it is it has a lot of jokes insides. From Laughter Is The Best Medicine to Life’s Like That, jokes also make their appearances after the ending of an article.

One joke went like this, At a conference for worriers, the speaker advised his audience the futility of worrying and the side effects it could have on a person. He said “ Usually, 70% of what you worried about, never happened !! “. One participant shouted “ Then it worked, didn’t it ? “.

It is only a joke but it has such a profound effect on me. So much so, as I told my boss about 2 months ago, it has made me the person I am today, a first class worrier. I couldn’t let go any of my worries, as I fear it would happen when I stop. Therefore I am content to frown and be edgy until the situation passes. Or if it is a long standing issue, I take comfort when the worry surfaces now and then, because when they do then I have hope that it will not happen. Psychological thing, trust me.

Anyway, this month there is an article on the medical dramas that has graced television screens all these years, from Dr Kildare to House, which is my absolute favourite. Then there is an article on the piracy on the Straits of Malacca and told 2 heroic stories of Malaysians who helped to save the day ( and lives ). That was a good one and made me proud.

There is also an article on why insurance buyers should read the small prints of the contract. It also advised on the important things we should ask our agents before we sign up for anything. Brilliant. One sad article is on how families who lost their children try to re- build their lives. These children died when their own family car backed into them. Truly tragic.

Read it. There are other great articles too that either could help you or just be an enjoyable piece to read. The jokes ? Wa ha ha… funny !!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dah lama i tak baca readers digest. dulu rajin jugak, but now my interest is on books. tak jumpa pun kat kedai sini..