Monday, May 14, 2007

Movie Review : Chermin

We watched Chermin during the weekend on our telly ( I bought original DVD okay ). I am not gonna mention about the story line much as I really want you guys to watch it. The gist of it, it is about Nasrin who was involved in a mysterious accident and was scarred at her cheeks because of it. The accident of course is a result of something deeper and sinister as it involves a family curse. Deanna Yusoff plays Mastura, the curser ( he he ) and Natasha Hudson as the chosen great granddaughter that she wants to possess. Why is Mastura so evil ? What happened ? Well, it is actually quite sad. I am not saying that Mastura has a right to do what she did, but I understand why she did it. Really. Of course she was half crazy anyway… so… well….

It is a better movie to me then Jangan Pandang Belakang. Deanna Yusof’s acting was good however it was marred by her inability to speak Malay properly. The intonation was not there. They should’ve probably chosen somebody who is a native Malay speaker or should’ve spent more time teaching Deanna to talk. I have no complains about her acting though, I mean she is a scary hantu, albeit a very beautiful one. The scene where she was taunting them from inside the mirror was excellent and her portray of a deranged wife is spot on, but I just couldn’t relate to her way of talking. It is just not there yet. Seems forced somehow and it made her sound unrealistic. I mean the face and the modulation didn’t match. But all the same, good acting Ms Yusof.

Natasha Hudson was okay. We could tell when Mastura had possessed Nassrin because the way she talked was already different. She was successful in her attempt to talk like Deanna. So yes, that was excellent.

The cinematography was admirable and the songs were brilliant. I like that. Like Cinta, the songs came at appropriate moments and the choices were apt. The location.. well, where did they film the movie ? The kampong is a very beautiful kampong. Very clean and well kept. The houses were fine-looking and deserved a mention in interior and exterior design journals. Rumah sapa lah tu ye… Maybe somewhere in Hulu Langat.

I don’t know why it didn’t receive more rave reviews or stayed longer in the cinemas. I don’t know why they said it’s boring too. I mean, the dishy Farid Kamil should’ve taken out all the boring bits, if any, immediately. However, I do have to say he didn’t appear enough times in this movie, so maybe that’s why. Ha ha.. Seriously it is a good movie.

Complains ? Well again ( check my review on Jangan Pandang Belakang ), the exorcism was too easy. I need a more elaborate scene. It has to be harder than that, surely ? Nevertheless, is she really gone ? Really ? She’s dead ? They are never truly gone are they ? Ha ha…. Hmm.. maybe that is the boring part.

The unrealistic moment was very funny. It highlighted the problem with all Malaysian movies, lack of attention to detail. What happened was Natasha Hudson’s scar was.. well how can I put this ajar ? The scar was not properly attached to her skin. We could actually see the gap between skin and the paste on scar.

Moral of the story ?

Don’t force arranged marriages on your children. Something could go wrong. Sure love marriages could turn out bad too but at least the love factor ( which I feel is very essential to all unions ) is there.
If you are a second wife, don’t be cruel.
If you feel hopeless and could hear voices and you know you are going crazy, seek help and seek God !!
Okay ? Watch it.

4 comments:

liadevega said...

Nak pinjam! You ni rajin sungguh tulis book and movie review, shud send it to our local papers la. Btw, don't arrange yr children marriages with neighborhood folks aje ye...

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Nolah, I won't arrange their marriages but they have to fall in love between the town boundaries that I have set lah.... ha ha....

Nak pinjam boleh.

Anonymous said...

aisey...ini cruel punya mum, awal2 dah limit town boundaries. he he my mum pun sama jugak! anyway, movie sounds good. but nothing can beat cinta (still no.1 in my heart).

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Min, your mom memang pandai...