Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Things that I remember...

On Sunday I had Esya and Ana with me. They played Wii and what nots but Ana got bored after awhile and soon came looking for me.

We sat together, reading the papers. She loves to read this one and will point at pictures that interest her and demanded for the story behind it.

After that we cooked rice. We washed to rice together, then siram the pokok keliling rumah with the air basuhan beras, then sat on the sofa watching the telly. Mummy took out Kacang Shee Good (as per my dad. Ngan Nyin kat orang marhain ….), cracked the shells and fed her. Tak sabar-sabar. Asal letak, dia ngap sekali and tadah tangan lagi. He he…

So she sat on my lap, Babah next to me as I kissed her intermittently. Babah kept looking at us for some reason. Anyway as we watched the telly, I remembered an ad I saw in a magazine.

“You know Kamil ? Magazine WW is doing a cute baby contest for 1-4 year olds. I ingat nak masukkan Ana….”

Kamil raised his eyebrows before saying, “Comel memang comel tapi sure kalah part gigi…”

Bulat mata Mummy tengok Babah. “No ! She is beautiful !”

“Iya… but the gigi…”

“Nope… her gigi is fine !” Mummy answered indignantly.

Babah smiled. “You marah sebab she looks like you…”

And I smiled. Of course she looks like me. Senang hati Mummy dengar. Terus sengih.

Teringat terus of an episode last raya. Tok Mi’s cousins came to the house for a visit, Mak Unggei and Mak Teh. As usual, they belek-belek my kids and said “Dua-dua anak Girl (forgive me.. I am still Girl eventhough I am like 30… and I will continue to be addressed as such even when I turn 50….) muka dia ye ?” I grinned happily, terus melekapkan diri kat my Mak Unggei.

Kebetulan Kamil passed by when they said it, stopped on his tracks.

“Takdelah… Adik muka Kamil…”

He he… big mistake. They are my aunts don’t you know, Kamil ? And therefore both of them retorted in unison, “Ek eleh… Takdelah… macam nilah muka Girl masa kecik-kecik !”

And they laughed. “Sebab kita makcik dia !” Mak Unggei said merrily. And Kamil bengang. And aku… suka ! He he…

PS :

I am reminded of something else. Another episode involving my aunts. One day yeah, after my wedding, my Mami Ela (my Bab’s wife) and Aunty Jan (she is my cousin tapi because she is of my dad’s generation, we call her Aunty… Well.. just us sebab my elder cousins call her Kak Jan) were looking at our family albums and then I heard Mami went “Mana gambaq Girl ni ? I know dalam gambaq ni ada dia… Kalau ada Tok Wan mesti ada Girl….” And then she turned to the next page and she and Aunty Jan went, “Tu dia... tu dia… ele le le le….” smiling fondly at the picture. I was embarrassed sure but couldn’t resist a look. It was a picture of me, circa 1978 ( dalam 2 tahun le tu…) running to my Tok Wan’s opened arms.

Baru nak lari sebab aku adalah segan dengan Kamil yang dok menyengih tengok kami, Mami stopped me and said, “Tok Wan sayang kat Girl tau dak…..”

Yeah Aunty but I know you love me too….My Mami Ela can be a model ipaq. She is my dad’s sister-in-law but this wonderful lady loves us anyway. Yang penting she loves my mom. One truly lovely lady. That is why I visit them whenever I can, where I am very much welcomed and therefore where I feel comfortable.

I feel warm and fuzzy now. Nak pi Bangsarlah, pi jenguk Mami and Bab this weekend.

2 comments:

Puteri's territory said...

Anak2 kalau comei, cerdik, sihat, mesti ikut mummy dia, mana pulak ikut bapak dia. No way! Tp kalau naughty, tak dengar cakap tu mmg sah2 amik perangai bapak dia kan?

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ooohhh.... I sayang you Kak Puteri !!