Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It reminded me of....

Yesterday as I was putting away my sejadah, I mulled over what to have for dinner. Babah and I met for lunch and had excellent pizzas with generous soups (not Pizza Hut so there was no disturbing after taste after the meal). I had starchy breakfast so what else is there for dinner ?

My mind fleeted from having nothing at all (because was still full at that time) to roti canai then settled on French toasts (roti teloq kata bapak aku) then went off to other food again when I took stock of the greasiness and fat content.

Anyway the thought of French toasts reminded me of an incident that happened way back, when I was little but… well big enough to already help my Mum in the kitchen. Now, when Mum makes French toasts she made it like Chinese shrimp toast. Instead of shrimp, she covers one side of the bread with minced meat. It is utterly delicious. I do not know if every house does this, but we accompany our beefy French toast with a chilli-onion-vinegar dip. The crunchy toast laden with beef, coupled with a tangy hot vinegary dip explodes in your mouth. Truly… he he…

So one day, ages ago, for some reason Mum didn’t make the dip. Bapak was at the dining table, a plate of toasts in front of him. My sister Ita and myself were climbing up the stairs when Bapak said, “Can one of you make the kuah cicah (dip) for me ?”

His mistake was not naming names. He let us decide who was going to do it and therefore war broke out.

“Engkaulah buat !! (You do it !)” Said my sister.

“No ! You do it. I’m tired… blah blah blah….”

As we fought, Bapak looked at us quietly. I stole a look and saw his face was in amusement.

I stopped.

I will remember this forever.

He smiled kindly at us and said, “Your papa (he always addresses himself as papa if he wants his children to see reason. I hate it. It’s like my mom’s resigned “Suka hati kau lah” or “Up to you” ) wants to eat this bread your mummy makes with kuah cuka (vinegar dip). Sedapnya (delicious). Dengan cili sikit, bawang sikit… oooo bestnya (With a little onion, chillies… yummy…). Sapa yang boleh buat untuk (who can do this for) your old papa ni ?”

I stormed to the kitchen, yanked open the fridge and started the dip. Because of my huge ego, I slammed the bowl down in front of him. He in return grinned inanely at me and said “Thank you, girl..”

Believe me the regret came soon, much soon after. Love ya, papa.
.
PS : This entry reminds me of the episode of sambal belacan and my brother. Next entry, yeah ?

8 comments:

Sheik said...

boleh tak kau buat kasik satu...

aku tak boleh nak gambarkan from your description macam mana rupa french toast tu..hehehe

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Boleh.... nanti aku buat.... Tapi tak sedap macam mak aku buatlah....

Nuyui said...

Bukan macam Roti John ke?

Sheik said...

roti hi-mum, bukan roti hi-five :P

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Hmm.... elements of roti john tu adalah... tapi no mayo, tomato/chilli sauce and no veg.

It is just a normal roti telur tapi ada minced beef ... that's all.... he he

Anonymous said...

Jubei pun nak satu......bunyi mcm sedap tapi tak leh nak bayang mcamana rupa....

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Okay Bei, akan ku usahakan... he he

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Hmmmm.... boleh ganti roti John tak ? Roti Hai Mum.... 2 keping singgit.... hmmmm