Monday, January 12, 2009

Tammy Mathews Childers

I had the best surprise yesterday. When I accessed my gmail account, I got a notification from Facebook informing me that I have a message from a Tammy Childers.

I do not know any Tammy Childers but I know a Tammy Mathews and I quickly click on the message. It was a good day for me yesterday. My pen-pal Tammy from Tennessee, USA found me. After losing each other for at least 9 years (she knew I was in England but didn’t know about Umar… so that was probably right), she typed my name on Facebook and found me.

I quickly replied enthusiastically and while I was still surfing the net, she messaged me and we had a wonderful one hour conversation via FB messenger.

Thank you, Facebook. Thank you, technology. Thank you, Allah SWT.

Tammy and I became pen pals when I was 13 and she was 12. I would think almost everybody in my age bracket joined in the pen-pal round the world club (kena bayar RM 5 yek ?). One day a letter from the States came for me, my dad hollered for me to come down and he showed me a letter (opened … that is a federal offense, mister) addressed to me from the States. He gave me the envelope and started reading the letter out loud, my family gathered around.

I was confused, looking at the envelope while trying to hear my dad read (like I don’t know how to). In the letter she introduced herself, and her wish to be my pen-pal and she stated her interests. That was the interesting part because I remember this so well. My dad was reading yeah, “I like books and…. boys…” Laughter erupted. My father was laughing like mad.

“Girl, she likes boys !!” And Wa Ha Ha Ha he went.

I snatched the letter from him, left my very amused family and locked myself in the room and read and re-read and re-read the letter. Then I wrote a reply and the rest is history. She enclosed a picture of herself, a very pretty girl in cheerleading outfits that I still have.

She moved house once and then I suppose I moved to England and apparently we were still in communication then. Then after a hiatus of incommunicado I wrote to her again but my letter was returned. I wrote again, thinking I had the address wrong and it too was returned.

I think about her on and off and had been quite sad that we lost touch. I suppose because the pen-pal club was suppose to find a similar minded friend for us and they were spot on with Tammy and myself.

So now I found her, and today I am giddy with happiness.

PS : Tammy, they weren’t laughing because you like boys, but being Asian, dads are not supposed to know that they even exist so you announcing how much you like them was sort of funny because I should be in trouble. Sort of like my secret is out… I suppose it is one of those you have to be there joke…. Ha ha…

PS: Now I want to find my other pal, Emma Crouch from Wales. She is not exactly a pen-pal because we have met each other before we started writing to each other.

5 comments:

Sheik said...

rasanya baru aje aku baca tulisan kaler oren...ni dah kaler oren balik...cepat nye rotation kaler oren ni

Cik Puan Kamil said...

tapi aku ingat aku buat kaler hitam... apasal keluar oren ?

Sheik said...

hitam + pink page = oren

Nuyui said...

Find me in FB. I'm one of Kak Lia's friend. I'm coming down to KL on the 15th. Yippie!

liadevega said...

ala,
i macam ingat nama tammy ni.. u selalu mention abt her dulu.