Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sambal belacan

As promised, today I will narrate the my brother and sambal belacan story.

I hated my brother when I was small. In fact I hated him yesterday and I am sure if I see him later, I would hate him again. Why do older brothers makes you 10, spotty and ready for a fight ?

Anyway, in Malay society, adik is adik and abang or kakak is abang or kakak. The transition of you ordering your elder siblings about with “Please switch on the light for me (with 8 siblings I was forever switching on the lights for my younger siblings and when I thought I was finally getting a rest from that, out came my children, ordering me to “Tolong bukak lampu” again) and “Nak basuh tangan” came swiftly because suddenly they were telling you to “Please go to my room and get my book” etc. And don’t know why you just obey. You made your protest sure, but you still obey.

Maybe the possibility of nobody taking you to the shops or nobody to teman you in the darkened room was the motivation, I don’t know but you do as you are told.

Anyway, one day my brother was eating his lunch and I was passing by him when he said, “Tolong buat kan aku sambal belacan ?” We must have fought that day or last week, I don’t remember, but I do remember replying “Buat sendirilah !!”

A few minutes after that as I was climbing the stairs (the stairs play a major role in my family life doesn’t it ?), I heard the familiar sound of pounding. I looked into the kitchen and saw my brother, in a squat pounding chillies on the kitchen floor with a pestle (lesung batu lah tuh), face contorted in concentration.

I went into my room, closed the door, hugged my knees to my chest and played the picture over and over again with remorse.

I must have really learned my lesson about refusing family’s request for food because I have no other painful memory involving it.

PS: Hmmm…. I do have another one actually. My smaller brother’s requested for tuna sandwiches was refused because he asked for some right after lunch. Sometimes sandwiches reminded me of him asking “Buatkan sandwich ?” Why do these people ask for food from me ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mungkin sbb bila u buat.....sedap kot......or may be saje nak bermanjaaaaa.........

Cik Puan Kamil said...

He he... tapi rasanya sebab yg lain kecik lagi... I je yg dah boleh pegang pisau and tumbuk sambal.. ha ha

liadevega said...

Abang you si Apek tu bukan setakat bergaduh ngan you, ngan kawan2 u pun fdia nak bergaduh sekali.. ingat lagi dia selalu panggil aku kambing liar! He was an abang to escapers, together with abang an and fariz.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Gosh I know.... he is sooo terrible...