Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Aku buat dah....melalut ntah apa-apa

Chivalry is dead ?

Nope… in Malaysian only…. Okay, that is unfair. There are some nice gentlemen here who still waited for a lady to step in or out of the elevator first. And there are those who still opened the door for me.

But they are so far in between that when a guy did something gallant, I would do a double take before I can smile in gratitude.

It should be the other way around, isn’t it ? I should be shocked when a man failed to hold the door open for me, not if they do. It shows what kind of a society we live in nowadays. Maybe feminism failed us ? Maybe because we were so caught up for equal rights and equal opportunities that we forgot we actually like the attention given to us ?

Last year, I met David who flew from England for a meeting. I was shocked when he insisted to walk me to my car after the meeting was over. It was about 10 pm, at Holiday Inn Glenmarie and my car was visible from the lobby.

“Nope, nope…” he said as he extended his arm out, indicating that I should start walking, when I protested. “I have to see you safely to your car. I hardly ever allow my female staffs to work late. If they have to, I will make sure all of them get safely home. The world is dangerous nowadays. If I was the reason you had to be out of your home late at night then I must ensure that you do it safely…” He then queried about the length of my journey and if it was a safe route.

I was touched. None of my bosses ever cared to ask. None. It made me think of once when I just started working. I didn’t own a car then and relied on my colleagues and the bus to get home. One day my boss gave me the work too late and I had to stay on until 10 pm to make sure we make the deadline.

My boss left the office at 7. He knew my predicament. My car-less state that is. He also knew that the bus service at Jalan Ampang Hilir is almost non-existant. But he left anyway. Siap pesan suruh aku habiskan sebelum balik.

Macamana aku nak balik ? I remember him smiling at me as he opened the door. The dark has descended upon us, the streetlights were already lit up. His body was poorly illuminated by the dim lightings outside as the lobby’s own were already switched off. I remember his smiles and his body that looked like a shadow. I could see him now like that. How I hated him then for leaving me alone. I hate him still now actually. I remember gripping the hole puncher that I had in my hand, willing myself to not fling it to his bloody head.

Luckily Abang Man the despatch stayed with me.He shook his head in disbelief when he learned our boss had left. A colleague was to stop by to take the documents from me. Abang Man said don’t worry, our colleague will drop you off. But you know what, he refused. His wife was in the car and he didn’t want to raise her irk. She was already angry because he had to stop by the office so he was scared that having to send me off somewhere would make her angrier.

Boleh ? Abang Man was shocked yet again. I was embarrassed. We looked at each other, and I just shrugged my shoulders. What to do ? The thing is yeah, Abang Man bawak motor. He can take me sure but he only had one helmet with him at that time.

When our colleague left Abang Man said never mind, kita naik je motor ni berdua. He handed me his sole helmet. I pushed it back to him. My reasoning ? The police could spot a helmetless driver waaay before they can see the pillion.

Nak dijadikan cerita, it rained. I was soaking wet when Abang Man dropped me off at KLCC. He smiled regretfully at me and shook his head. With a sigh, he left for home. It was close to 11 pm.

Whenever I thought about that episode, aku sedih sangat. How callous can people be ? How uncaring. And how ungentlemanly. All of them. Except for Abang Man of course. He is a gem. Still is.

Anyway, Steve came with David for that meeting in Holiday Glenmarie. But he flew from Down Under. On his second trip here, he presented me with a box of macadamia nut chocolates, a local delicacy where he came from. It was a thank you because I plied him with loads of local goodies for him to take home when he was here before. It was returned gesture sure but how many would remember to do so in the first place ?

Last week I met Joe. An old mat salleh that from the looks of it is a resident of our country. He was so chivalrous, my smiles for him was tender. He wouldn’t let me open the door at all. That is his job. I must get out of the lift first. In fact, he must press the button for the lift. I was only to tell him which floor we were going to. When I dared to open the door to the meeting room first, he groaned in despair. He kept apologizing and saying thank you. Instead of rasa rimas, I was so touched.

I stood up to get the tea lady, he quickly stood up too. When I asked for his beverage of choice, it was inundated with pleases and thank yous. I was tempted to say, “Aku ambik order je lah bang. Kak Sue yang buat….” He was sweet, that Joe. I wish I could take him home.

I want my son to be like that. Once a collegue who step aside in order to let me get on the lift first, eventhough he was there first made me feel nice. He then held the door for me, indicating with his head that I should go out first. I awarded him with my best smiles, the smile that I reserved for loved ones, till he blushed.

Being polite doesn’t take much. If you are used to it, it doesn’t take any effort at all. Wouldn’t the world be a nice place to live in if we take just a minute to be nice and polite and chilvarous ? The ladies get their doors opened, and the men, the real men get to be thought of as a hero.

So why again I said chivalry is dead ? Because of the male bosses who didn’t think about their female staffs’ safety when he asked them to stay back, who let them take the cab or the busses while they drove off in the safety of their huge Merc or whatever. Even if the female employee owns a vehicle, their safety is still not guaranteed. Why criminals attack females ? Because they deemed us as weaker. Because thought that we get flustered. Of course we are stronger but to be put in that situation is horrifying and traumatic. We shouldn’t be put in that situation in the first place.

Well… of course the above example is just one of it. There are many, many ways where we can find people who refused to play nice. Besides, chilvary is not just a man’s business.

Sometimes aku rasa the higher you go, then the less effort you take to be nice. Why ? I don’t understand that myself.

Yeah… I am angry about something right now. Bloody pissed off in fact. And aku rasa, part of the problem is men yang dah tak tahu to be gentlemen. Let’s not talk about being understanding and kind lah… lagi tarak.

14 comments:

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

aku pernah dulu keje sampai kol 10. boss bengong.. meanwhile.. she went for yoga lah haper la. bodo bangang boss mcm ni.

and yes.. i too think that chivalry is dead. tak dak dah org cenggitu, at least kat sini myra oiii

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ntah apa2 ntah kan ? She would not garner extra respect by leaving u alone ...

Sheik said...

Sebab tu aku selalu halau staf aku balik dan impose waktu haram bekerja...

sebabnya, takde pekdah untuk keluarga kalau dok kat opis after 5.30pm. kalau nak mengkayakan kompeni dan diri sendiri, ada banyak lagi cara lain.

contohnya: buat tart kat rumah...betul dak?

anyway, hang untung sebab masih ada lelaki yg caring macam encik kamil mukammil tu..

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Actually aku sebanqnya teringat benda lain pastu melalu benda lain... he he... Aku marah pun sebenaqnya benda lain tapi ia masih berkenaan dengan kalo hang gentlemen hang tak buat lagu ni...

So maksudnya sekarang, hang balik tepat pada waktunya ni pi balik buat tart lah...

Tang mana Kamil itu caring-maring ? Sila cerita ...

Sheik said...

hahaha...aku pun melalut jugak... so aku guna kekdah "if you cant understand them; confuse them"

haha..tart tu cuma contoh...aku balik tepat pada masanya sebab actually dah terlambat nak amek anak aku yg kuar sekolah kul 4 tuh.

ada jugak colleague aku yg hantar anak ke sekolah yg sama, amek anak kul 6.45pm tiap2 hari. tapi aku ni tak sampai kati nengok anak aku tercangak (sebenarnya budak2 pun suka mak bapak lambat datang - boleh main sampai comot) kat sekolah tu..hiii hiii

pasal masalah lelaki gentleman ni aku pun ade masalah, sebab banyak bidang2 nak jadi gentleman ni aku masih kurang aware...dan masih belajar.

myra , kamil tu caring sebab dia suka makan masakan hang dan bersabar memahami bahasa penang hang tu..hihi

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Siannya.... 2 jam 45 minit tunggu bapak mai ambik... that is too long...

Sheik, there is nothing wrong with my bahasa Penang, hokey...... Tak yah nak caring dalam hal itu.... Cess...

Kelmarin aku tanya dia... dalam 3 hari I dok masak ni, mana yang tak sedap ? Dia kata bergedil you haro selasa sebab lembut sgt...

Kena juga kata... Awat tak kata sedap semuanya darling...

Btw, thank u for the ayam sebab we had roast chicken yesterday ...

Sheik said...

cuba bagi sikit resepi ayam rosemary tu...aku tak ade idea kalau bab roast ayam ni..

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Aku rasa as far as roast chicken goes, sedap lagi yang Farid and Min buat. But here goes;

Lumur ayam dengan garam, termasuk kat dalam hokey. Lepas itu lumur dengan melted butter, plus black pepper kalo nak.

Take a sprig of rosemary basuh. Take one whole lemon and cucuk dengan garpu. Push the rosemary and the lemon inside the ayam. Put the chicken in a roasting pan with some carrots and potatoes in the pan. Bakar for 40 mins to 1 hr.

Ada banyak resepi utk roast chicken. Ini yg aku buat semalam lah. We had them with corn on cob.

Ada jugak yang aku tumbuk garlic sampai lumat and biar marinate dalam oilve oil for 1-2 hrs. Pastu lumur seluruh ayam. That is quite nice too.

Sheik said...

whats the temp utk bakar ayam nih?

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Semalam aku buat at 190 degrees celcius. Just nice sebab after 1 hr, all the daging dah very lembut but still moist... Lekang dari tulang...

Desert Rose said...

Thank God, my boss still have some chivalry left inside his being , maybe because he's not pure melayu, half jawa kah kah.

Seriously, aku rasa malay men (bukan semua but most) are lacking in this.

Duluuuuuuuuu, I prioritize this chilvarous attitude in men, sebab tu my old flames semua adalah well not really melayu ...and semuanya adalah gentlemen . But sekarang well ....yeah, mmmmm mmmm well u know what race my spouse is by looking at him kan, what to say.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Cess.... kalo jawa kira bukan pure Melayu, maka mamat Banjar tu pun mix le... kuang3

Aku ni bukanlah mintak selalu bukak kan pintu ke, atau aku nak keluaq kereta hambat nak bukak pintu... tetapi care sahaja... Caring is very gentlemenly..

Nasib baik boss hang okeh....

liadevega said...

ada different between laki yg tak gentlemen dan yg mmg egois. yg tak gentlemen tu biasanya dia jadi mcm tu sbb dia tak biasa buat/lihat. environment dia dibesarkan takdak suasana macam tu i.e. dia tak dok kat overseas. laki yg egois tu mmg sengaja tak mo buat sbb nak jaga imej, maruah, status...in short nak rasa dia yg powerful.

my hubby @ sheik tak le gentlemen sgt...selalu aku yg bukak pintu keta sendiri...(tp aku pun takmo dia bukakan pintu keta kat pompuan lain gak sbb aku jeles..hehe)but he is THOUGHTFUL. Bila dia teringat nak be nice tu mmg I'm touched...tp bila mai ignorance period tu, rasa nak tumbuk ja perut dia tu..

ampuuun pak sheik...

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Aku rasa caring and being thoughtful is very gentlemenly... And bukan sahaja suami isteri tetapi lelaki kepada perempuan