Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sambal udang

I am sick. Riddled with coughs, snot and heavy chest.

But still yesterday we had dinner at Kokpelli's. We only go to Kokpelli's for special occassions. Birthdays, anniversary and whatever we felt like celebrating. Adik forgotten to request for Kokopelli for her birthday so when Abang did, she was rather upset. 

Anyway, today walaupun aku tak larat I cooked lunch. Probably because I lagi tak larat keluar makan. Or answer Kamil's "You nak makan apa  ?" I really hate that question. So... I made a Sri Lankan curry which was a bit masam because I underestimated the strength of the yoghurt. I should go easy next time. And I made sambal udang.

I think my sambal udang is nice enough. But still it wouldn't stand a chance against my mom's definitely... Or my Opah's.

Which of course reminded me of her. Opah was my grandma's sister. I hate was. Is really. Even though she had passed, she is still my grandma's sister. She did not cease to be so just because she is six feet under.

Anyway, I was sent to her a lot during cuti sekolah. Or when my parents had to go overseas. She lived in a setinggan in KL but I loved it anyway. I love going to hers sebab ada my arwah maksu who, I adore. Or adored. At Opah's house, we feasted on sambal udang quite a bit. Sigh.... I can still remember the delightful taste, the fiery red colour, the unpeeled udangs that frustrated me since my mom peeled hers.

Sometimes, maksu and the neighbours' kids would have picnics. Picnics to us then were food piled up on our plates during lunch time and we would meet somewhere to have our lunch together. Bawah pokok, or berlonggok tepi crudely made badminton court or someone's porch.

And if I somehow teringat about those picnics, I always saw sambal udang on my plate... red and sweet and pedas and masam at the same time. I will also remember the hot afternoon sun and the fun we had, eating together like that.

I couldn't remember their faces anymore, the girls I had my picnics with. I only remember my maksu's of course and maybe sometimes my sisters'.... but other than that, I don't remember anybody else. Sad, huh ?

I remember once visiting Opah after I had all grown up. I remember I was coming home for the summer holidays and Mom dragged me for a visit. It was about 3 pm and I wasn't expecting her to be cooking at 3 ! Arwah maksu was in the living room playing with her less than a year old son, and we were in the kitchen, watching Opah cooked while she complained about coming home from the hospital to find no food under the tudung saji. That was why she was cooking at 3. And yeah, it was sambal udang burbling in the wok, and I remember salivating at the sight and smell of it even though we had lunch already.

Ahhh... memories.

Opah passed about 3 years ago. After my maksu passed away, she took care of her son-in-law and her cucus. Even after Paksu re-married. She fell while cooking for Paksu's new wife who was in confinement and just gone...

I hope she wasn't making sambal udang then. That will be pushing it too far....

Sigh....

Al-fatihah for my Opah. And my Maksu.

No comments: