Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cekodok yang bawak bad memories...

I made cekodok on Monday. Can’t abide people calling it Jemput-Jemput. Too polite for my rude ears. He he..

Well when I made them that Monday, I was awashed with a few memories that has cekodok in it but this particular one got stuck in me head.

Memory yang tak best of course because we always remember the unpleasant ones, don’t we.

Anyway, Babah is my husband. And therefore I usually do things the way he likes it. Like I do not make gulai nenas anymore because he doesn’t eat it. Makan for my own consumption would only require ¼ of the said nenas. So the ¾ usually ended up in the bin or worse, I have to cook a more complicated dish in order to use it, i.e. laksa assam.

He also likes his cekodok with very minimal amount of tepung. Hence, if I am not careful the said cekodoks frying away in the wok would have a high chance of sticking to the thing.

(2 weekends ago Babah and Ian went out to buy pisang goreng and cekodok from the road side. Babah complained with every bite he took because they were rather hard. When I made the cekodok last Monday, he kept saying, ‘Why can’t people sell their cekodoks like this ?’ He he… Like I said, I know what he likes….. okay ?)

Bearing that in mind, he also likes his bananas to be frittered when they are bit matured. That is best he said because the pisang goreng would be really nice and sweet. Sure the pisang goreng would be sweet but to goreng pisang would be rather difficult.

But, I just do it anyway, per his preference well… because he likes it that way lah. No other reason. The story is coming, don’t you fret, now.

Anyway, this fateful day I fried some ripe bananas that were available in the kitchen. To fry a ripe one, you really have to make sure the batter is made of sterner stuffs in order to help the already soft bananas withstand the heat. However, it has to be light enough so that it wouldn’t taste so floury and ended up dense and heavy. As a result, I got some nice banana fritters which had quite a few burnt spots (because the batter broke) but crunchy enough. It just didn’t look normal, is all.

As I was frying the second batch, a person whom I would prefer to remain unknown, took a peek at what I was doing and exclaimed, “Ha ha ! Goreng pisang masak !!” and continued laughing like I was stupid. She left but turned around to look at me, shaking her head away, hand covering her mouth.

My blood definitely boiled and went upstairs and upstairs and upstairs. Dah lah panas mengadap kuali yang berapi. Saja nak naikkan my body temperature. Saja tau buat aku terbakar !! Waarrgghhh !

I was gritting my teeth when she re-entered the cooking area. Seizing the opportunity, I remarked to the maid who was washing the dishes. “Babah ni suka makan goreng pisang yang masak. Dia kata lembut, manis. Sedap bagi dia……”

Not much, but it told her that I did it on purpose. Sebab laki aku suka !

I think if she didn’t giggle or laugh, I wouldn’t have been offended. But she did laugh at me. And that what me wanna…. Haa…. Terlajak perahu boleh diundur, terlajak kata…. Lagi lah ada evidence ni ha…. Keh keh…

4 comments:

JMZ said...

yee ... aku pon marah jugak!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Kindred spirit !! Kau paham kenapa aku marah ? Bahagianya !

Sheik said...

menderitanya nak goreng pisang masak.nasib baik dan tak mintak kerepek pisang masak..wakakaka..camne la nak buat tu...

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ye... terima kasih kerana memahami masalah ku... Kalau dia nak kerepek pisang masak aku suruh dia buat sendiri....