Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Italian lunch

Babah took me out for lunch today, to a quite nice Italian bistro in Damansara Perdana. Now, today’s lunch reminded me of two dining experience involving the Italians.

The first happened during our trip to Florence. It was our so called honeymoon. So called because 1 year old Abang tagged along.

Anyway, after a nice visit to the Boboli Gardens, we decided to have lunch at this nice looking restaurant. Went in and it was full but we managed to get a table anyway. We ordered two Spaghetti Vongole (and it was delicious) and 2 crème caramel.

Alas, when we were to be served our deserts, the waiter apologetically explained that they only have one left. We didn’t mind and assured the distressed waiter we could share. We wished we didn’t have to though because it was the best crème caramel served any side of the world, ever. So soft and milky, melted in your mouth kind of pudding. Not the Malaysian version which has an overwhelming eggy taste. This one was creamy indeed.

We paid the bill gladly, informed the waiter to compliment the chef on our behalf and left. As we walked, I studied the receipt and was shocked to find that we weren’t billed for the dessert. We turned around, entered the restaurant again, much to the surprise of the waiter.

Showed him the bill and explained and Babah took out some euros to pay.

The waiter shook his head. “No ! No !” with much gesticulating. People stopped to look. “It is on the house. You ordered two ? We have only one so we give you free !” He explained with a flourish.

Babah and I were very thankful “But….” I said. “Wouldn’t your boss mind ?”

He drew his head back, eyes went wide (I was rather alarmed at that time) and he announced, “No ! I am boss ! So I say in the house !”

I was mortified beyond belief and could feel the heat from my blushes. Luckily he laughed and patted our backs. “You very good ! Come back to pay !! No pay ! No pay !’ and ushered us out of the… correction, his restaurant.

He… malu wei…

Oh actually got three stories. He he..

Okay this one that I just remembered also happened in Florence after the above incident. We wanted so much to go back to that restaurant but being Malay, got quite segan. Takut Godfather tu ingat kita nak crème caramel free lagi… He he…

Anyway, this time we ate quite near to the statue of David (I think so… maybe if I ask Babah he would go, “Mana ada ! Punya lah jauh ! Kita pi makan kat blah, blah, blah….). Well, we entered this nice restaurant (the first restaurant I mentioned seems very orangey in my head and when I thought about this one I am talking about now seems to be filled with white and black. White tablecloth with white window panes. Black tiangs (what is tiang again, not poles surely…) with waiters in black aprons. Oh, and they have coloured blow glass bottles on the tables.

Anyway, pastas and pizzas were listed under appetisers which surprised us. I remembered ordering Crema e Funghi pasta and Babah ordered Pizza Margherita. And a bottle of Aqua Frizzante (Babah likes Aqua Naturale, so we took turns lah… 1 botol besar oii… kenyang minum air..).

After we finished ordering, the waiter didn’t go away. He was still standing at our table, pad in hand, pen waiting. Babah said thank you. He raised his eyebrows. He then asked about main course.

Turn aku ngan Babah pulak angkat kening. I thought language barrier, dia tak paham so I repeated our order. He nodded his head and asked again for our main course. I explained that was our main course and he was shocked. Again much gesturing and gesculating, explaining the portion will be small.

It took a few attempts to assure him that we would be fine. When we got our food, the portion was small, but it was okay. We weren’t overly full, but it was enough. I think if we ordered a main course, the waiter would have to wheel us back to our hotel. Seriously !

And was he a concerned waiter. He kept checking up on us and when we cleared our plate, he asked if we changed our minds about the main course. We didn’t. He offered us desserts and coffee and what nots. When we paid our bill, I think it took him all his strength and might not to secret a loaf of bread in Abang’s stroller, just in case.

Hmm…. Actually now I am reminded of a hundred stories involving food, so … to be continued !!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiang = pillar??

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Good one. Thank you. Hope I will remember that....