Monday, August 03, 2009

My weekend again... this time with a rescue mission..

Cor ! What a weekend. It was nice one, not so tiring but a memorable one. Wish I had me camera with me.

My Saturday started very, very early. 6.55 am Jubei called to say that she is in front of the gates. Opened the door to a fresh morning which was nice, and started our journey to pasar Kelang.

It is not that far, really as it took us about 10 – 15 minutes to get there. Why the distance ? Well because food is cheaper there. The wet market in pasar sek 6 is way too expensive. I bought enough for 3 weeks at the cost of 1 week bills from sek 6.

Sorry, I can’t seem to write properly. My head is a bit heavy from my constant yawning.

11.30 am I met up with Amelia when we sent our kiddies to art class. I parked my car, hopped in her car (the second Honda City of the day for me) and off we sped to SACC for a massage. Alas, all the masseuse had clients so we abandoned the idea and went for a slice of cake at Secret Resepi instead. We talked, and talked and talked and went back to sek 9 to fetch our kids.

I bought breakfast with Jubei in the morning but we didn’t have the time to eat it as had to rush out for the kids’ piano lessons as soon as I got home. My children had stuffed themselves with cereal anyway so breakfast became lunch. That was easy.

Watched telly a bit before Babah asked me to watch Quantum of Solace upstairs. Of course Daniel Craig watched us sleep instead and when we woke up, the kids had switched to Star Trek and Adik, I swear she did this with sarcasm dripping from each word she uttered, asked. “Did you have a nice sleep, Data ?”

Cess… After that I was no more Mummy but Data (Mummy you know Data kissed that funny lady (Borg Queen)… Eeeuuwwww…. He he)

We had dinner at Tony’s, bought more cds and went home to sleep.

Now, Sunday was nice. He he…

Sent the kids to play tennis, Babah and I had breakfast at where else and then we went to his parents’ for buah manggis. While we waited for the gate to open, we saw a revolting sight of a bitch (and I do mean a female dog, you all..) with all her udders hanging out and apparently swollen with milk. Next I saw her puppy which was oh so cute and Babah and I went ‘Awww…. Look at him…’.

I stayed at the compound and watched out for the dogs as something just doesn’t seem right. However at that very moment, I just couldn’t put my finger into it. As we drove out of the house with the mangosteens, it struck me that condition of the bitch’s (still talking about the canine variety) udders didn’t gel with the amount of puppies she had, which was one.

The mom looked distressed, going up and down the length of the drain next to the house and were whining and all. The little kiddo was yelping and came close to our car. I scrolled down the window to say goodbye. He barked and I heard like a hollowed sound of yelping at the same time.

I looked at Babah and said, “Something is not right. Did you hear more yelping ?”

He agreed and then there it was again, a very distressed sound of puppies whining and yelping coming from the drain. I got out of the car and looked but it was empty. Then I heard more yelpings and it seemed to come from underneath the neighbour’s driveway. Peered inside but it was too dark to see.

I gave a rather self-conscious hello. Soon I heard the sound of footsteps, sloshing in the very black air longkang. And there from the dark emerged 3 little adorable puppies yelping away. Oh….my. They were gorgeous, and cute and little and everything puppies should look like. Bless. The mother came then, plus the sensible one who was not in the wet drain like the rest of his siblings, barking madly.

The poor babies were shivering and they barked and yelped frantically, trying to climb up the drain. Babahand I were besides ourselves with worry, didn’t know what to do. I thought about just picking them up, but I was quite wary of the mom and I do not know about dogs much and I do not know if she knew that I was trying to rescue her litter and not abduct them. Well, I think she probably would have understood with dogs being clever and all. But it didn’t cross my mind at that time, of course.

There is a construction site at the end of the road and so I suggested that we go and choose a plank, to fashion sort of like a ladder for the puppies to climb on. Babah said okay and we drove there. While choosing and Indonesian worker came our way and Babah asked for his permission to take some. He generously agreed seeing that his employer paid for them.

Anyway, I asked if he is a Muslim ? He said yes and I explained the situation to him. Then came a voice from my right and when I followed it, saw a guy covered in bubbly soaps, apparently bathing. Oh dear, it was an open bathroom and this sudsy guy and girl were showering (nope, not together…). Went red a bit and pointedly looked away. Well I should be looking for a suitable plank really and not at people in their minimal best. Ha ha.. When I say minimal, I mean in number of skin covered by clothing.

Anyway, they exchanged words and the dry guy informed the wet one is a Chirstian and would help. I thanked both of them (while keeping my eyes trained on the fully clothed one). Babah saw a plank that he deemed suitable, so we returned to the puppies again after showing the Indonesians the location of the poor babies.

We arrived with burning tyres because we saw the puppies were shivering from the cold beforehand. The sky had considerably darkened and rain was expected. The puppies were huddled together, looking for warmth. Awww man… I should have had my camera with me. The dry one (this time I meant the puppy) came to Babah and started barking. “Be careful Babah, or he’ll lick you..” I warned. Babah teared his longing gaze from the puppy to say, “I don’t mind..” and crouched to say a few encouraging words. Keh keh..

He then propped the plank slanting and as securely as he could, paving a way for them to climb up. The puppies looked at us and I realised well, they couldn’t know our plan could they ?

So I began my quest to make the puppies see what we were thinking.

“Naik ni…See ? See ? Naik ! Cepat ! Nak hujan ni….” While pointing to the ladder. 3 pairs of brown, beautiful but mournful eyes looked at me. Awww…..

“Cepat ! Naik sini. Ni ? Nampak ni ?” Gesturing madly at them and the plank. No reaction what-so-ever.

“Na-ik. Nam-pak ni ? Ma-cam tang-ga. Ce-pat ! Hu-jan..” Like talking slowly would make them suddenly understand what I said. My fingers were pointing to the sky and making rain signs. I swear I could hear them laughed at me.

Or maybe that was my husband.

Then I thought, hang on these are puppies so maybe they don’t understand Malay. Well on account of Malays are Muslims so maybe they understand English. Don’t start snickering okay, just read on…

So I switched to English with no success, too. Hmmm….

Babah tried whistling and I jumped and jumped (like that was going to help) and started to despair. Luckily when I looked up I saw the Indonesians making our way and I sighed with relief.

“Do you know that Indonesians eat dogs ?” Asked my husband.

Eh ? Really ?

He who now I can look at because he is fully clothed went down the drain and in a thrice the puppies were safe on dry land. At the same moment, the heavens opened up. One was clever enough to join his mother. One took cover at a neighbour’s fence and the last one, the only one who is black barked at the drain.

What the … ?

“What are you doing ?” Asked Babah.

He leaned so far into the drain, we feared he was going to fall down again. Huh. I could see now that it was his idea to jump in the drain in the first place. “Weii… go back to your mother… Kat situ !” I pointed. He kept on barking. The Indonesian went to him and patted his head and that little rascal bared his teeth. Sungguh kurang sopan.

It had started to rain heavily and we went inside the car before thanking the two men profusely. We made our way to Kamalia’s house. Stayed for about 30 minutes then picked up the kids.

“Abah nak ambik lah doggy tu…” Said Babah wistfully after regaling the story to his kids.

“Ye ke, Bah ?” The kids asked eagerly.

“A-ah… They are so cute…” He he… I could see that my husband has fallen in love.

“Bah, I am cute, too….” Said Adik… Keh keh…

Anyway, went to Subang Parade for lunch with PIL. “Mummy, I want to go back with Atuk…” Said my daughter. “I think I still have a few things left over there….” was the reason she gave. Hmmm…. Whatever but just don’t bring home toys that I have never seen, okay ?

So what to do ? What to do ? We wondered. To go home and you know what is impossible because you know why. Ha ha…

So we went to look for furniture. Pusing Puchong then went to our favourite furniture place in Kampung Melayu Subang. Went home to pick up Adik’s music bag, fetched the kids from PIL’s house (no sign of the puppies at all. Damn !) and sent Adik to her piano replacement class.

Came home and planned to go for a jog when Noreen sms-ed to warn us of her impending arrival. The wonderful girl came bearing cupcakes. We settled for a chat and even listened to her newly bought CD which I have to admit is quite good. A Malay singer whose name has left my 3 pounder (what is new). Her songs and singing reminds me of Norah Jones plus Lisa Loeb and Jewell. A bit folksy, with excellent guitar playing. I pictured her music video to be black and white and her driving a huge American coupe cabriolet, singing away. She reminds me of a singer but I just couldn’t think who at this moment.

Anyway, had the kind of dinner that I call ‘Clear the fridge and larder dinner’. We had mushroom soup, garlic bread from leftover pita bread, some leftover mac and cheese and corn on cob.

Then sleep, thinking about those puppies. As we were drifting to sleep, I asked my husband again, “How did the puppy’s face looked like Babah, when he barked at you ?” I am so jealous, people.

My husband made a sound of a puppy with a sore throat, pouting his lips and screwed his eyes half shut. Keh keh….

8 comments:

knv said...

myra! you and your weekends!

eh i think you should make a compilation la wehh!

dengan tajuk

Me and My Weekends
-short stories by Myra Abd Mutalib


apa kater??

:P

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Buang space kat kedai buku Mak Minah oii... kang aku yg beli sebab segan dok berlambak kat sinun... kah kah

liadevega said...

Ada hadis kan yg tell about how a prostitute can enter Heaven hanya dgn sebab dia memberi minum seekor anjing yg kehausan?

I hope you and Dan will be rewarded by your good deeds...Insyaallah..!

Desert Rose said...

Myra,

Slah tu, patutnya hgpa cakap cina mesti depa paham....


Kudos, ni sesuay laki bini ni, rescue ranger.

Aku penah gak nak tolong anjing jatuh longkang, tapi aku takut sebab dia sangat baby, aku geli pulok dah, aku pun pi heret la budak cina jiran aku tolong.

Lagipun aku ada sejarah hitam ngan dog, masa kecik berbelas episod aku kena ligan ngan anjing, jadi aku pobia.

Kalau anjin comey tak pa gak, ni yg huduh dan scary , besaq pulak tu...

Cik Puan Kamil said...

He he.. insya-Allah... Anyway kesian kan kat depa ? So helpless..

Cik Puan Kamil said...

DR aku pun sebenaqnya takut kena gigit sebab tu aku tak angkut ngan tangan aja. AKu takut satgi mak dia mai lompat ataih aku, habih lah, habih lah, habih lah... ha ha

Anonymous said...

rahsia jumpa anjing, jgn lari tapi buat2 berani and pandang tepat pada matanya..nescaya anjing itu akan lari...tapi jgn buat kat anjing polis sbb anjing tu dah masuk skolah

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Terima kasih Anon. And kalau ada anjing polis yg terstranded gitu, aku panggil polis aje or aku lukih diagram cara2 nak menyelamtkan diri memandangkan dia dah pi sekolah... Kah kah