Friday, October 23, 2009

My attempt to dispense advice on child rearing... Ha ha

Sometime during this week, I had a conversation with a friend during lunch time about this and that.

I like her, I really do but aku a bit bosan sebab she likes to talk about her children a trifle too much. Of course I do not mind listening to her stories, but since as time goes by, her children's milestones resembled that of Clark Kent, aku tension gak.

But as Dan always said to me, dengar sajalah. Tak larat, don’t go out with her anymore.

Sure, sure.

The other thing yang aku a bit tak larat is her penchant to criticize other people’s parenting as oppose to hers. Anak Superman, mak Jor-El lah kan… Hmmm……..

Plus her children are oh-so perfect, nobody can say or do anything. Dia cakap pasai anak orang takpa, siap bagi nasihat lagi. Tapi kalau pasai anak dia, baru nak ambik napaih, telinga dia dah berdesing dulu. He he.... terrible ain’t it ? Me that is… As… right now I am about to do something I really dislike about her. But of course, aku buat di belakang takbir. Ampun.

It was a bit shocking listening to this story because she had always liked to paint ridiculously glossy pictures about her family, telling me about her daughter being kicked out of the clever class seemed a bit surreal. Maybe she was pissed off so she had for that one moment, let her guard down.

Probably. Hmmm…

Anyway, as I already and should know her daughter is a bloody gifted 10 year old and is in the advanced class. However recently she was asked to change class because the teacher feels the daughter could not cope with fast paced learning and would fare much better in the second class.

This is what she said, “Mana boleh anak aku masuk kelas bodoh ! Aku yang paling banyak menyumbang kat PIBG, senang-senang aje nak tolak anak aku pegi kelas bodoh….Banyak tau aku bagi kat PIBG. Ada cikgu cakap aku penyumbang paling banyak dalam sejarah sekolah ! Dia orang tak boleh buat macam tu kat aku !”

Pulak.
Hmmm....
Okay.

In my dream, this is what I told her.

Eventhough my son is not stupendously clever as yours but he is the advanced class too. However if he is ever kicked out, I will ask him first. If his studies are suffering due to his laziness, I would get angry (Tunjuk baik... sesungguhnya aku akan marah tanpa usul periksa dulu… Naik hantu dulu, ask questions later). But if he said his teachers teach too fast and he couldn't understand his lessons, then it is better for him to move to a slower class to have better understanding of the subjects. He is not ready to move on to a new topic, but his mates are .. do you think the teacher would stop for him ? And thefore, apart from past lessons that he couldn't make heads and tails of, he has to learn new things ? By the end of the year he will be totally swamped and left behind. There will be too many for him to catch up on.

By forcing your daughter to stay in an advanced class, her studies could really suffer. What is more important ? Your pride or her studies ? Plus, if I am not mistaken, something I caught during her spates of bragging, there are about 4-5 classes of Year 4, so it does not look like second class is kelas bodoh. Plus... err... they are not doing anything to YOU but to your daughter. Why is this about you ?

Of course, I can’t say that well because first she was so fired up, I fear she will be spewing fireballs if I open my mouth. And I did have my favourite tudung on. Plus, well if she had been talking about clothes or some other stuffs I would have given her my opinion. But since we are talking about her children and she is very, very sensitive on that subject, well… I chose to save myself.

And therefore I dispensed my 2 cents worth via my blog that she doesn’t know existed.

Hopefully.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I call this a "white collar child abuse? I dont understand what she s been doing in PTA. She gives donation and she tells people about it.And worst of all, she wants something in return!!! Whaat the.... Myra, U shoudnt be friends with this person. Penting ke dia?hmm...

Puteri's territory said...

Myra,

Respeklah sama lu! Mcmana org mcm ni still remain your friend? I paling tak tahan kalau org duk cerita pasal anak dia, keluarga dia semua perfectlah.

Tulah based on my experience as a teacher kan, parents yg mcm ni yang bayk buat kacau. There was this one student of mine, I don't see her potential and interest to be in Science Stream but she writes beautiful essays and she wanted to be a journalist, copywriter camtu, so I said to her don't waste your talent and time masuk science stream pilah buat Arts, so when in Form 4 she heed my advice and chose to be in the Art Stream.

Then the mother was so so unhappy came, and said some nasty things to us teachers for encouraging the daughter to do Arts she said we didn't know her daughter as much as she does. Kita bukan paksa anak dia pun kan cuma bg pendapat.

So this girl mmg suffer in Science Stream tp mmg dia tak tukar dahlah takut war meletus kata dia. Imagine dpd straight A's PMR dpt 2A's je for SPM, and she confided me by telling she would do better and would get more A's kalau she stayed in the Art Stream. Her A's tu pun English and Lit.

You get my point tak? Sorrylah termelalut sikit.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

U know Anon, that is correct, penting ke dia ? And I agree with ur white collar abuse point. Hmmm ... Apa-apa pun.. aku kesian kat anak dia.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Kak Puteri.... what u wrote here is very valuable... It serves as a reminder to me also... I thank you very much...

Sheik said...

ooo...cian makcik ni. dia ingat duit boley beli segalanya. oh tidak..

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Iya... dalam hal macam ni dia ingat duit boleh memainkan peranan... Hmmm...

Desert Rose said...

I pity her dotter, sian kan dpt mak mcm tu. Bersyukurlah Myra sb hg hanya ada dia sbg kawan tapi anak dia mempunyai dia as a mother, count ur blessing my dear.

Kalaulah syarat sah anak dpt result bagus adalah bagi duit bnyk kat PIBG, tahun dpn aku juai rumah aku pi derma kat PIBG sekolah anak aku, sure Aufa terus masuk darjah 6 instead darjah satu kan kui kui kui

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Eja... hang punya idea kan tak dak orang lain bukeh pikiaq punya tau... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Anonymous said...

Alhamdulillah ada cikgu macam Puteri( sedap hati nak hantar anak pergi sekolah nanti) n orang2 mcm Mrs Kamil,Dessert Rose n Sheik. Myra, your friend tu ada blog tak?Boleh I taruk skit.:-)

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Dear Anon... Cikgu macam kak Puteri is good kan... U should send ur children to her school... she would guide ur kids well..he he

I do not know if she has a blog though.. I did check just now after I read ur comment tapi takdak keluaq apa2... Hmmm hopefully she didn't google my name.... Ha ha