Thursday, October 29, 2009

She ain't no monster.... Aku je...

You know, bila kita dah besar-besar ni…. barulah kita nak paham mak kita kan ? I mean, I had a suspicion that my mom descended from some kind of a monster when I was younger. Now I know she was not being a monster sesuka hati. Everything she did was with reasons and those reasons that my immature brain failed to grasp. Seriously, being a parent is not a popularity contest. To bring up a good, wholesome child ain’t easy and needs a lot of sacrifices, even their love. And hoping that they would come to their senses and see you in a different light when they grow up. They usually do, after having their own child that is.

I would like to think… well I do firmly believe that my mammy… she didn’t deliberately stop me from going out at night just because she was on a power trip. She had wanted me to keep my virtue in tact. At 15, I couldn’t see anything wrong with going out at night of course since ALL my friends were doing it. SO her reasonings fell on deaf ears and I was just adamant that she just so dengki about me having a good time. And that is why she was a monster.

So somewhere in my life, probably at a junction in my 20s (probably late), I have come to a conclusion that my mom is not exactly a hantu but actually a very wise person who doesn’t want me to make mistakes. Aku ni yang hantu sebenarnya. Especially when I sound just like her when I talk to my own kids.

She is a mom so she is protective. Berleter and marah so that we wouldn’t get ourselves into trouble or worse, get hurt. There was this once, yeah I stumbled upon my mom silently weeping on her bed.

“Laaa… awat pulak ni ?” Bukannya nak pi peluk ke hapa, tapi pegi tanya lagu tu pulak.

“Tu… Fiza (bukan nama sebenar adik ku)… Dah break up dengan Hamid (bukan nama sebenar ex-boiprennya yang bangsat ituh)….”

“Ha… tau… Yang Mummy ni keriak ni awatnya ?” Anak yang bangang ni pulak pergi tanya… I had to ask because she doesn’t like him that much and to my thinking she should be jumping up and down with joy.

“Dakk… Mummy kesian sungguh dekat dia … Dok menangis… Tak mau makan….. I cannot help her… How can I make her feel better ?”

Alahai… sian lak ngan mak aku. Yelah.. a mother has this overwhelming need to protect her children. My mom had many, many times said that the thing she feared the most is if her children get broken hearted. As that is when she is powerless..

My problem pulak is I need to see my mom happy. I always have this need to make her happy so aku belasah adik aku and ordered her to at least to be cheerful in front of my mammy. Ha ha… tapi bila bergaduh dengan Dan, aku meraung kat mak aku gak.

He he… aku tak pa…

So whatever she did, I understand now (well bukanlah sat-sat ni… dulu-dulu dah paham dah… he he…), she had just wanted to shield us from harm. She loves us. She doesn’t want us to get hurt. If she can, she would have us bubble wrapped and hidden from the cruel world.

Anyway… yesterday as I looked at my dark house, I shook my head in despair. I should have listened to my mother. She had predicted that my house will be dark because of the very dark varnish of the stairs.

She had also warned me about the black floor tiles of my kitchen, the dark brown tiles of my bathroom, black tiles of the guest bathroom. But did I listen to her ? No sirree…. I had dreamt of my kitchen, my bathroom far too long to be destroyed by her logical reasonings.

Ha… padan muko. Aku memang suka ala-ala vampire’s lair gitu… sebab tu semua hitam… Wahahahaha.

Dulu-dulu.. when I was still in school, she had warned me about my tendency to order my siblings to shut-up. “Biasakan lah… Nanti dengan orang pun ko cakap shut-up.. Eii… malu lah… Nanti orang cakap ko perempuan garang….”

Did I listen ? Nope. I remember feeling very irritated at my mom when she said that, so bloody sure of myself that I would never make that kind of slip-ups. Anak durhaka kan ? Allah tu nak tunjukkan ?

So it happened one fine day. I was talking to Amelia and Nurul Al-Bakri, having quite a heated discussion when we were interrupted by Jamil (again, bukan nama sebenar… nama dua orang tu nama betul…ha ha). I was so bloody pissed-off because he interrupted my train of thoughts and without thinking, it was almost automatic really, I gave him an arrogant, “Shut up !” and immediately winced. Terlupa that he is not one of my siblings. Aiyoh lah…

Well… at least I winced when I realized my mistake but it was done, wasn’t it ? It had happened. And the look on his face, Jamil that is, plus the pity look Amelia gave him didn’t help either.

And that is when I learned that Mum was right.

I sort of changed after that. But of course, it is a lesson that I frequently forget. But as of right now, I am more aware that even with my university education, my mother still is much cleverer than me, and she actually knows what she is talking about. That Mummy is always right.. Okaylah.. almost always… ha ha…

6 comments:

Sheik said...

myra, ko boleh tak buat satu lagi blog bernama 'hi-mum:synopsis for dummies'..hi hi hi

yg benar
dumbass

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

mmg anak yg baik.. aku ni la ntah bila nak taruk post kat mak aku..

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Dear Dumbass,

semalam punya lagi panjang okeh.... ini ringkas ni ha... Tapi takpa, aku buat sinopsis : Jangan lawan cakap mak. Sebab mak pandai.

Konot,

anak yang baik tak selalu lupa macam aku ni....

Desert Rose said...

My My, u took how many years to realize what u really are??? One look at u already i know u r are hantu langsiaq in disguise, well just listen to your laugh for instance wakakakakakakak.....jgn marah ah, kena juai.

U r absolutely right dear. Mak aku punya tak berkenan la dgn sorang kawan aku masa zaman2 aku gothic dulu kan, padahal she never did that before. So being a rebellious teen ager, aku merasakan awat la mak aku ni prejudice tak ketahuan ni kan...sedey plak bila dia tak bagi aku rapat sgt ngan minah tu.

Allah amaha kuasa, it turned out to be that aku la ni berpatah arang 98 kerat ngan minah tu coz her attitude yg sgt2 aku tak boleh maafkan. Padan muka aku.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Eja nasib baik hang sebab aku tak dak kawan lain nak pi reflexology Sabtu ni. Kalau dak aku dah bomb opis hang sebab panggei aku langsuyaq... Vampire kira okay lah jugak sebab cun sket... Langsuyaq dengan rambut kusut masai... cess...

Ini kawan hang yang dok sibuk nak jadi kawan fb hang ka tuh ? Memandangkan blog hand dah bersawang macam rumah nenek kebayan, lebih baik hang buat entry pasai minah ni... Ataupun lagi best... cerita percintaan hang ngan En Lan...

Desert Rose said...

hik hik hik, oooo perkotak katik kan aku

lagsuyaq la cun, (setelah boh paku kat tengkok la kan) ada ka vampire...gigi pun terkeluaq, hensem lg Os.

Tu la Minah tak cukup akai tu, tak kuasa aku , pencemaran udara dan bunyi ok buat cerita pasal dia...