Sunday, May 30, 2010

Balik Perak

It was my cousin’s engagement yesterday. In Perak. Ha… Lovely Guthrie Highway made it possible for us to make it a day trip.

Anyway, I love getting involved in a kenduri where caterers are not in the picture. My aunt didn’t cook for sure, she ordered the meehoon goreng, the various kuihs. And her neighbor sedekah kuah kacang and ketupat. But everything else was done by us. Since we left early morning, we arrived at 11 am, rested awhile before starting the preparation.

The dinnerware, cutleries, glasses and cups to wash and then the buat air and what nots… Cousins and aunts and uncles and helpful neighbours came one by one to help. Sangat meriah. Sangat-sangat.

My aunt’s husband passed away about 5 years ago so it was up to our uncles to handle the situation. I love my uncles. Aku sebak sikit bila Uncle E, Uncle K and Uncle M sat at the head of the sepera. Uncle K as usual diam aje, nampak macam tak interested but I know he was listening intently… And be careful he might open his mouth if he finds the need. Uncle E started the ceremony, Uncle M added his thoughts here and there but when Uncle M added a lengthy speech about if things didn’t work out, it will be Allah’s will and we must redha terbeliak jugak mata aku sat.

When our guests left, I asked my darling Uncle why he mentioned such thing. But before he could answer, I cheekily said, “Sebab tak nak masuk Harian Metro, ye ?” And everybody laughed. Well, the more civilised we as a society get, the more lawyers we need in our daily life. DR… aku rasa hang better handle lawsuit2 ni sekali.. Sure banyak duit.

As soon as the guests left, CY, Kamil and I started the cleaning up process. Kamil and I plus a few other cousins collected the dirty plates. CY scrubbed them and our Grandma’s maid rinsed them. Then, Kamil and I arranged the washed dinnerware to be air dried.

I was busy going in and out of the kitchen and on my like 20th laluan, I heard my uncle asked the whereabouts of Kamil. The uncles and aunts and the grandma were eating at that time. My Mom said, “Kat dapur buat kerja…..”

And one piped in, “Dia memang biasa macam tu… Jadi orang dapur… Rajin…”

And another one said, “Ishh.. dia tu memang rajin…. Tak peronahnya duduk diam….”

And my mom said, “Memang.,.. dia memang boleh diharap….”

And one went, “Yelah… betul tu….”

Aku tunggu gak ada nama aku keluar ke idak ? Ada… dalam context, “Bertuah betul si CPK tu…. “

Cess !

So I stomped my tired feet and aching back and slammed down the dirty plates. “CY… dah tak yah basuh pinggan tu… Kita suruh aje si Kamil basuh sorang-sorang… Ko tahu, kita pun buat kerja, tapi yang dia orang puji kaw-kaw kat depan, si Kamil ni….. !” And aku bagi jelingan yang paling maut lah.

Kamil looked at me and smiled broadly.

“Ha ? Aku ni sampai sakit-sakit belakang tau !” Said CY yang dah termakan cucukan ku… Keh keh…..

Kamil chuckled and we stared daggers at him.

Benci ! Bukan le mintak dipuji… We know our responsibilities, tapi kalo nak puji, pujilah semua !! Boring tau !!!!

1 comment:

Nadia.Is.Cute said...

Encik Kamil + Encik Black pun sama.