Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Happy Anniversary

Yesterday was our 7th year wedding anniversary. Since it was a Monday, therefore no candlelight dinners ( have never been really fond of candlelight dinners as you can't really see your food). We have plans today to go and catch a movie, sans the kids, tapi kesian pulak since the Monster House is in the cinemas right now. However, have to scrape the plan due to work commitments. So maybe later yeah ? End of the week probably ?
How do you celebrate an anniversary ? One friend asked ( rather cynically I should add ) if to celebrate it with a dinner, how can you make the dinner special since it involves the thing that you do 3-4 times a day, every day. Make love ? How special can you make the love making on that particular day ? Do you save this one position that you really like and only practise it on your wedding anniversary ( I suppose like not eating ketupat palas and rendang and kuah kacang on any other day except Hari Raya ) ? Is it the gifts ? How do we classify gifts that is for birthday or anniversary ?
If you ask me on the spot, what gifts we exchanged last year, I wouldn't know the answer unless the said gift happens to be on my person. So are anniversaries that forgettable ? If they are, why do we celebrate it ? And how do we celebrate it ?
I suppose, although I don't remember what present I gave to my husband last year as a token of my love for him 6 years in a row, but maybe I was tenderer and more lovable to him on the days leading to our anniversary. Do you get what I mean ? Like this year for example ( I swear I couldn't remember last year ), it was him who remembered that we will be celebrating our anniversary in 8 days time. So from that moment on, the number of phone calls during working hours doubled ( or tripled ) just to say "Baby I miss you" or whatever, but our yearning for eachother is more. We would drift to sleep while reminiscing on the good old days, when the was just the 2 of us. Him with his moustache ( not as thick as Dato K ye.... ) and me with my jerawat of every point of maturity and sizes, how we have changed, blah, blah, blah.....
Maybe what an anniversary does is reminding us of why we actually love our spouse and probably bring back the old feelings that lay buried ( not lost ) because of everyday humdrum or activities. Maybe in that month ( give and take 2 weeks prior and after the anniversary ) we would find eachother again, basking in the glory of being the chosen one and confident that we are actually loved by at least this one person. Then maybe slowly it will lay buried again, and then the spark will come back once in awhile throughout the year ( birthdays, hari raya, bulan puasa, merdeka even if the mood is right ) before it returned full blast again come the next anniversary.I don't know. It is just a thought heavily influenced by my above-mentioned friend.
I love my husband with my heart and soul. But sometimes we forget because of daily commitments, that's all. But I am really amazed that everyday at 6 Dan will call to make sure that I am already on the way home, a sure sign that after 13 years, he is still not tired of seeing me. That he still fully expects me to open the bedroom door and say "Hai honey...," every single day.
Happy Anniversary, darling.

No comments: