Friday, January 08, 2010

Why you so like that, ah ?

I don’t know why I suddenly remember this.

This story happened when we were living in Leicester then and Abang was about 6 months old. When we were living in Nottingham, our local supermarket was Sainsbury’s and therefore when we moved to Leicester, eventhough there was a perfectly nice Tesco in the middle of the city, we still walked past it to go to Sainsbury’s, situated at the fringes of the city, near the bus depot.

This is Beeston... To go to Siansbury's we have to walk past Dixon... maybe about 3 minutes walking. However, Dixons seems to be on the wrong side to me... Gambar tahun berapa ntah ni.


I suppose we were used to it, familiar with the products and all. Plus we do have Sainsbury’s Loyalty Card.. Ha ha…

So anytime we needed to stock on supplies, we would wheel Abang out in his stroller and the 3 of us would walk through to the city, sampai Sainsbury, do our shopping and pay.

It is not that far really because we ourselves lived in the city kan, but then to walk for like 30 minutes (more if I decided to look in Next or Dororthy Perkins or H&M or worse masuk The Shires, the only mall there, mau jugak 2 jam.. kah kah…), hands laden with goods, that is another thing.

Leicester City.. although I cannot remember that clock tower... Hmmm.... But it looks like to be near the Haymarket....


Luckily we have Abang’s stroller and what could a set of parents do but hang some of the bags at the stroller’s handle … or whatever it is called lah, a normal practice kan, done by parents all over the world.

Anyway, pada suatu hari, we went to Sainsbury’s as usual. Kamil stocked up on bottled water sebab air kat UK tak sedap. Well tak sedap untuk tekak Malaysian lah. I saw him piling both handles of the stroller with the water bottles. As I was busy transferring groceries from the cart to the counter, I pointed it to him, requesting that he transfers some in the basket underneath the stroller.

“No lah… okay tu… Tak berat…” Jawab laki ku yang tak mo percaya kat bini.

Tak sampai 5 saat, stroller tu terbalik dengan anak ku yang tembam membam sekali kat dalam tu.

Tak menjerit. Dengan aku dengan shoppers lain dengan pekerja Sainsbury’s.

Gambar hiasan. It didn't happen in this particular Sainsbury's.


I got to him in lighning speed. Not Edward Cullen nor Superman could have done it better than me. I plucked him with my heart already at my throat, only to be greeted by his smiles. Suka lak dia. Si Kamil *&&%**## pushed back the stroller up right and it fell again. The crowd gasped. Bangang lah mamat ni. As I have said earlier, the back of the stroller is too heavy from the weight of the water bottles. Saja je nak tambah drama.

After assuring the concerned mat sallehs that my baby was fine, Kamil paid up (red faced of course) and mulalah sesi aku mengamuk sakan sambil gelak. I dunno why I do that sometimes. Aku panas hati ni but aku gelak… Stupid really because it lightens the gravity of the situation somehow and therefore Kamil escaped lightly.

But he didn’t. A week after that, a mere week after that in the local newspapers bahagian Surat Pembaca, a reader from LEICESTER wrote a letter warning parents against hanging their heavy shopping bags on the stroller as last week he/she saw a stroller terbalik kat Sainsbury. He/She then advised that it is prudent for parents to carry the bags on their own as they safety of baby in the stroller is at risk.

Korang rasa Mat Salleh tu cakap pasal sapa ?

Sapa ?

Sapa ?

Kamil tak mengaku.

It has been a week, he said.

Sayang aku dah hilang that piece of newspaper.

Hmmm… hilang ke atau sengaja dihilangkan oleh seseorang yang sekarang dah separa botak ?

So sekarang, malu dak ? Tak pasai-pasai kami pi Tesco lepaih tu.

Tak mau dengaq cakap lagi !!!! Tak pasai-pasai masuk paper.



Tesco. Sainsbury's is nicer, really.

13 comments:

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

kalau aku la.. mmg dah terkeluar jantung from ribcage niehhh..

haihh la kamil oiiiii

Desert Rose said...

Bohoooooohoooo, *jatuh drpd krusi. I didnt know Kamil was that famous in Leicester, next time around remind me to have his autograph plus his pic holding that particular piece of newspaper cutting okay ....(syuuu now go n find it asap)

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Konot.... Itulah dia nya... Tak mo dengaq....

Cik Puan Kamil said...

DR, cuba hang tanya dia mana pi article tu when you see him next... Aku nak tengok muka dia jadi lagu mana...

Dad of 4+1 said...

This certainly brings back my memory to Beeston-grocery-shopping-days some 20 years ago!!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

No way ? U were in Nottingham too ? We were there 15 years ago... Dear me... 15 ? That was ages ago, okay ?

Formerly known as Superwomanwannabe! said...

Hiiiii me too me too! I was "Dad of Four plus one plus one plus no more if the wife has her say" 's classmate!

We left in 1991...and our last place of residence was in Beeston and Dunkirk!

What did you do there??

Dad of 4+1 said...

Yes I was...Left Notts 1991 and then London. Dixon was exactly at the same spot in the pic here when I was there.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Dear friend of Dad of Four plus one plus one plus no more if the wife has her say...,

First I like ur new moniker... ha ha...

We arrived in 1995 and stayed in Dovecote Lane, off Queen Street. And of course selalu lalu Dunkirk kalau nak pi tengok wayang kat Showcase !!! What a coincidence !

I studied Engineering tapi dekat Leicester. We prefered Notts so we travelled by train to Leicester...

What a small world !

Dad of 4+1 said...

Wah..jauh tu commute but with the efficient train services no issue kan?

Showcase , Black Orchid were our frequent haunts...almaklumlah 5 mins on foot.

SW was granted PR at our home kat Dunkirk or rather Pendatang yang telah di buat Pemutehan...Ha Ha

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Dear Dad,

the train service was quite efficient yes but yg tak efficient nya ialah counter jual tiket. Tak pernah bukak. Kita org lak kena marah dengan train conductor sebab tak belim tiket.. well how lah kalau counter tutup ?

He he...

Oh yes... black orchid... U pernah tak makan kat Pretty Orchid kat City ? Owns by a Malaysian.. There is where I learnt to eat Pad Thai !

Err... is Dixon where it should be ? Maybe my memory served me wrong.. ha ha

David M said...

Im glad you have used one of my pictures (Beeston High Road) the one with Dixons on it,hope you like it.

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Dear David,

thank you for the lovely picture. I do like it. Are you a Beeston local ? I had a smashing time when I lived there...