Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend ala-ala Nigella

Salam…..

My Monday routine so here we go.

I had an order of shepard’s pie and tarts from one customer. One other customer requested for 100 pieces of cream puffs. Yikes !

I can’t panic sebab nanti kerja tak siap. Due to my bursting to the seams fridge, I hunted for strawberries on Thursday. Plus you can’t buy strawberries early on because of its delicate and easily bruised nature. Went to my favourite hotspots but can’t find any of those lovely Korean ones. I stopped buying New Zealand lah, Cameron lah because they are not as sweet as the ones from Korea. As usual, luck is not on my side since I couldn’t find them anywhere in my town.

The fruit specialty shop siap habaq they refused to receive anymore Korean strawberries because they get bad easy and he went on and on how he opened 3 boxes of them and only could sell half a box worth.

Opppsss..

Tried again on Friday but again nada. Not even in Subang Parade so when I found some cut up ones at RM2.50 a pack, I snapped them all up. Tak kisah lah mai dari mana pun, ambik aje. Takut den kalau tak dak langsung.

Made the pies. And learnt my lesson. Will not cook for customers while Bibik is around because how she fretted ! Banyak nya garam, she told me once. Then when I added flour, she went tsk tsk when I throw in more salt. Banyaknya… takut Bibik… she said again.

So aku macam got confused and seriously doubted my ability to produce lovely pies. I found myself sneaking a few spoonfuls of garam while she was not looking…

I just laughed when she nagged because if I don’t laugh I might snap. And I hate losing my patience. Plus she has been good this one. Like when I asked her to peel the potatoes and boil them for me. Then I unexpectedly had to go out (Adik suddenly developed a fever and stomach ache therefore to the hospital we must go) so I told her never mind lah Bik, just dice them and then soak in salt water. When I return I will rebus. It is hard to mash cold potatoes okay ?

However when I came home, I found the potatoes boiling in a vat of water anyway, on a small fire for it to cook slowly while waiting for me. In addition to that she peeled the onions and the garlic siap-siap, without me telling her to so how can I marah kan ? She definitely saved my time and made things easier for me.

She then wrestled them masher from me so I was reduced to standing by, watching her and flavoring the tatters. She ignored my “Pergilah tidur Bik, udah malam…” So definitely cannot marah so terima jelah kritikan-kritikan dia.

Sigh…….

I froze the pies, made custard and chocolate creams then sleep. Oh.. this guy is a repeat customer. Last time he ordered, I filled 2.5 kg worth of minced in 2 rectangular disposable aluminium pans. Saja nak buat buat aku sasau, the shop was out of the said pans. Boleh ? Hari tu masa tak mau guna berlambak. Bila time aku nak guna saja habih. Saja tau !
.
So I filled them up in 4 round ones instead. Cukup-cukup aje but doesn't look as much as when they were in the rectangular ones. Hope he believed me when I said it has the same amount of ingredients as last time.

Heard Adik waking up her Babah in the middle of the night, heard them went down but I just continued sleeping because while I cooked just now, Babah slept on the sofa. So he had his fill of sleep already. By the way, Adik gerak Babah not me… so nasib le.

It turned out she got hungry as we only had rolled roti canai (like the ones we had masa kat LCCT itu hari Ya and DR) for dinner so Kamil made his daughter kaya toasts. Sayang Babah, kan ?

Since Adik was ill, no piano lessons which was really a blessing in disguise as I can cook at a more sedate pace. Picked up Abang from his tennis class though and bought breakfast.

Tart shells were ready since Monday so while the choux pastry were in the oven, filled them up. The custard ones turned out as expected with the blueberries but my chocolate creams got all watery from the sliced strawberries !!!

I saw the berries sank and I despaired because it wasn’t suppose to be like that !!!!!!! Strawberries are unpredictable okay and therefore WAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!

The cream puff lady came first. She was happy and she kept popping them in her mouth as we talked. Err….. okay. This lady is a regular customer and her cream puff is a bit special because she likes them a bit hard so that, as she puts it, “My teeth has something substantial to chew….”. Okaylah, whatever that works for ya.

Everything was ready by the time the second customer came for his food. I knocked RM 10 from the bill because of the wrteched berries. Hope everything, including the tarts are okay. Gave him some of the cream puffs because there were extras.

Since we had a late breakfast, we skipped lunch. Babah had a huge breakfast so he skipped lunch too. Babah felt like going out so after Maghrib we went to the Curve for wayang. I knew we wouldn’t get any ticks tapi layan jelah.

I was right of course. We jalan-jalan a bit where I bought cheap but extra comfy shoes and as I was membebel where can I get leggings for my daughter, stumbled upon a stall selling children’s pantyhose. Okaylah. Bolehlah… pantyhose pun pantyhose lah but they are very, very pretty with flowers and heart shapes all over.

We had Tony Roma’s for dinner. We shared a sandwich, Babah and I. They serve gargantuan proportions those people and we learnt our lesson so we shared a sandwich and it was good.

I watched Percy Jackson again with my daughter, whom I suspect is in love with the said Percy. I dozed off after like 10 minutes of the movie but woke up when she got up to switched off the telly after it was over.

Such a responsible girl. And tahan mata kau yek nengok movie sampai habis ?

I woke up with her by my side and Abang next to her. Kamil was walking around the room, banging the cabinet doors as he bustled about, preparing for kursus haji with his parents at the mosque.

I opened my eyes and he was looking at me as he passed me by.

“What ?”

“Nothing…”

Huh ! Yeah right.

“What ?”

“I tidur sorang-sorang kat atas tilam…….”

Hai… tengok bola lagi. Katil kena hijack, don’t blame me. You should have claimed your place awal-awal, okay ?

Then……

“Butang baju Melayu I mana, yang ?”

WAAAARRRRGGHHHHH !!

Pantang wei laki aku tanya soalan ni. Plus this is the second time he asked me okay in a span of one year.

I showed him where it is and told him to not come home if a kadi is involved.

Luckily he came back 15 minutes after he left. “Abah pun tak pakai baju Melayu so buat apa I pakai ?” he said as he tore his t-shirt off.

“Laa… dah habis akad nikah terus kawin koboi ke ?” I asked his retreating, khaki-ed back.

His smiles made me wanna scream. Padan muka aku.

I had breakfast with just my kids again. Bibik seperti biasa tak nak ikut. Suka hati lah Bik. Went to the market and bought groceries. Bumped into my mom who fretted when she saw her grandchildren weighted down with plastic bags on both arms.

Cucu buat taktik kotor by buat muka kesian. Jaga hangpa.

I got a call for an order for my chocolate cake. The customer wanted to black forest it instead of putting fresh strawberries. Lega gak aku as I cannot vouch for strawberries anymore. She had earlier ordered chocolate tarts with peaches to be picked up today, so this is an added request. She then called again to add 100 cream puffs to her order.

Aku macam panik-panik and told her I do not have the kotak to house all her orders. She begged so I told her I’d go and look for the boxes but if I failed, she had better make her own arrangements.

Kamil got home all smiles and that was all I needed to get him to take me to Jaya 1. As soon as we entered Federal Highway, his mom called and invited us to lunch. Kamil made a hasty turn off the highway to collect the kids and made our way to Sari Ratu.

We were full us, the kids and I so we didn’t eat much. After thanking their grandparents, we straight away went to Jaya 1 but unfortunately, the shop was closed.

“You dah pegi sek 13 belum ?”

“Tutup….” Said I confidently.

Kamil shook his head but drove to sek 13 anyway. Yeah… well…. it was opened. Macamana aku yang pelanggan tetap tak tau ?

I so wanted to golek-golek with my husband but since my customer said she is coming at 4, and it was already 2 pm, I started my work. I love cooking so I was happy because Bibik was busy with the ironing and can’t help. I had a lovely time tinkering and padding around my kitchen, mixing and measuring (I hate measuring actually), berangan jadi Nigella…. But smaller version sure…Ha ha… gelak aku. Again with the kelakar bangsat.

I was like so very teringin makan mee kari so I asked Bibik to boil some chicken in the afternoon. But after I had blended all my spices, I found the soup with an extra ingredient, a dead fly floating about.

Again, want to marah aaa ? She is an old lady plus … she had been good otherwise. The only way I could unnerve her was by asking her to throw away the now septic soup.

“Sayangnya….”

“Nak buat macam mana… tak tutup betul-betul …..”

Hope she learnt her lesson.

Kamil ajak dinner at this kopitiam that I do not want to go before because they have no halal logo. They have acquired one now though so I had no choice but to honour his request. And it was a horrible experience. I am defintely not going back.

More on that next entry, okay ?

Sleep after that. Well actually after watching Max Payne. Halfway that is because I couldn’t, just couldn’t keep my eyes opened. Sleep, snored a bit I suppose in between and woke up !

And kena marah ngan Kamil because I dropped his watch. The damn watch now refused to fasten on his wrist.

Swinging bowl lah ! I had a wonderful day with Kamil yesterday. He was being attentive, he was being sweet and now this.

Ada aje…

Hmmm……………….

4 comments:

Cik Kiah said...

1. If i were a man memang aku orat ko dari si kamil tu supaya hari2 aku boleh makan sedap.

2. Where is it that you live because aku tingin nak makan shepherd's pie (psst also if i order can i bluff laki aku and cakap aku yg masak?)

3. Bibik ko cam gaya nak bukak gerai western food bila balik kampung nanti je...

4. Baru je jumpa korean strawberries at the coldsto. near my place. Tak pernah rasa, selalu ingat yg US punya yg manis. memang dasar jilat vontot matsalleh je aku ni tau!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

1. Janganlah cakap macam tu.... Malu !!! He he... sila muntah sekarang....

2. Shah Alam.... would love to meet you. Come over lah and I can ajak Desert Rose... And I will cook whatever you fancy... Janji ni...

3. Ye.... aku rasa jugak.... Tapi ada ke org nak makan cream puff kat Tanjong Balai nun lain cerita... ha ha

4. Did U try it. I rasa macam manis je dari yang lain....

Question for you laling;
sedap ke vontot matsalleh tu ? Nak jugak tahu ! Hahahahah

Btw... no 2 is a serious invite... jgnlah segan. Email me at myraam@gmail.com

Cik Kiah said...

Hiii hiiii...i malulah nak jumpa2..bukan tak sudi...Tapi nemind, satu hari nanti i akan order gak memacam dari you..shepherd's pie, cream puff, cheese tart whateverlah semua..hah ambik kau!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

CK.. nemind... bila you order.. I get to see you gak... he he... cepatlah order...