Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Aku merepek meraban

Yesterday, I read the musings of a friend. She said, people like to talk bad about her because she doesn’t conform to the Malay ways of life, because she is different.

I know how she feels because well, I have been treated the same way, too. Little things that I took for granted as being the way of life is perceived as very menunjuk-nunjuk by other people.

I don’t know why I am never in the right crowd. You know, my last office the crowd is like this. At my first job, the crowd is different from the previous one, but among themselves, they are cut from the same cloth. Even here in my 3rd outfit, I still stood up like a sore thumb.

When will I ever get to work with people of my own kind ? What is my kind ? I dunno. I thought we are all the same and different at the same time.

“Makan sambal belacan ?”

“Makan… mestilah….”

“Samalah kita…. Bagus, bagus…”

“Pernah panjat pokok kelapa ?”

“Tak pernah lah pulak….”

“Ade ke tak pernah panjat pokok kelapa ?”

“Laa…. Salah ke ?”

“Psstt… ko tahu ? Minah tu tak pernah panjat pokok kelapa…..”

“Iye ? Ko biar benar…”

Dah jadi cerita…

The truth is, I never minded that they were different from me. I like to have my questions answered really and learning new stuffs. My questions came from watching drama Melayu where I have always puzzled at the fact that since those people on tv are Melayu, and the last time I checked my family is one too, then why do they talk like that ?

I have never heard my mom went, “Abang nak makan apa ? Saya masak yang istimeeeeewwwwa untuk abang….” Lentok-lentok.

My mom says, “Alit, I masak nasi tomato hari ni. You lapaq dak ?” Cekak pinggang.

Or a mom went, “Makan sayang, mama dah masak ni….”

My mum? “Come and get itttt……!”

So takpelah. I always blamed on the fact that we talk a mixture of Penang, Perak, English and normal BM. So when I started working and have a glimpse of their lives, I went like, “Wow… drama swasta is a reflection of real lives !!” And I sat down and learnt.

But they look at me and frown and asked why I talk funny or why am I like that. Of course, we became good friends and I ended up loving 2-3 very much, the feelings reciprocated but to get there was quite confusing and horrendous.

Paling yang depa suka cakap is about how I am with Babah.

I once heard one said, “Tengok tu Kak X. Macam tu dia cakap dengan laki dia…”

Cakap macamana ? How am I suppose to talk to my husband ?

I call him Babah. Because he is Babah. To call him abang is impossible because one, I am older by 3 weeks. Two, we met at school and there was no way I were to call him abang kalau tak nak mati kena kutuk.

Sure when there are times I bengang I will show him my fists. Show aje. Because that is what I do with my siblings … and my dad. I left one colleague with her mouth hung open when I confessed bila dan tika I bengang tahap gaban dengan my husband, if he happens to be on the bed, I will jump on him and start to gomoi.

You see, gomoi is a well loved activity in my family. Sometimes Ayah will holler from the bedroom, “Jom gomoi !!!” and we will run and jump on him and start rolling around on top of each other and went Yargh ! Yargh ! Yargh !

This was the best opportunity to throw a sneaky punch or head dunk or just plain debik sebiji with whomever we have a grudge on. Kalau sorang start “Owwww!” and we will go “Kalau tak boleh sakit sikit toksah main….” And none would be the wiser. Keh keh …. Errm… jangan terdebik Ayah dah lah.. Eleh, kalau kena pun Ayah will just laugh..

But that is me. I grew up like that. But salah ke ?

Why must you whisper behind my back just because I do things differently ? I cannot talk to my husband like you do with yours because seriously, Babah will start looking for Ustaz kat Darussyifa if I do.

“Makan bang… saya masak hari ni khas untuk abang…” Kelip-kelip mata, lentok berbagai.

Lepaih Babah terkedu sat and shudders sebab geli dan geleman, dia panggei GhostBuster Malaya. Haa… baru nak kena ….


It is okay isn’t it if I am different from you because you see you are different from me too. But I take you just the way you are. Janganlah kutuk… Tak best, Allah pun marah…
.
Anyway who to say who is more Malay ?

Err… you guys get what I am trying to say ?

15 comments:

knv said...

i so get you myra. pasai tu la i pun dilabel a bit anti-social kat my place nih hiihih.

eh you should be my colleague la... pasai i pun geng cakap kedah gak... haha..

oh this is my blogging ID. my blog is casa arina. feel free to drop by okey? but i warn you, it is purely madness!

:P

Desert Rose said...

Ha...paham, I get this all d time.. " mcm tu ka cakap ngan laki??"

Abisss ???? I mg main pijak2 kaki and gomoi2 ngan laki i gak, main tumbuk2 pun slalu.. awat salah ka??

Gomoi-mengomoi membawa bahagia paaa?

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ana, I pernah gak cuba tapi disekat... Okay I will try casa arina pulak.. Itulah kita sepatutnya kerja sama-sama, no ?

DR, oh my kindred spirit... Gomoi tulah yg best no ? Kita org main sepak-sepak... keh keh.... I think that should be our new motto Gomoi-menggomoi membawa bahagia... perghhh ...

Puteri's territory said...

Mcm kenal je that friend of yours yang started this topic.... siapa ye? ahak ahak.

I'm not sure about you, but I believe it's difficult when they're just too many Malays in one place because they just like to gossip about people. Again generalization, but that's what I'm experiencing.

These people are educated and live in the city but still so narrow-minded. I just don't get it. AKu tak kacau engkao, apsal plak kau nak cerita pasal aku. Tu yang sakit ati tu if you know what I mean.

Lebih teruk bila they gang up and influence other people to think the same of you. Sedih!!

Just to console myself, i believe these people are just jealous of us.

Stay you!

Sheik said...

hang memang pelik sebab goreng pisang masak. but that's ok sebab dalam dunia ni memang ramai manusia pelik. pelik itu best.

"abang..saya goreng pisang kegemaran abang hari ni. marilah abang rasa wahai abang"....eoouww!!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ha ha..

Btw, generalisation is the word, Kak Puteri. We all have to conform to one rule... lain sket tak boleh...

Thanks, Kak Puteri.. I will endeavour to stay me although I think my husband would protest a bit... Keh keh

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Sheik, eeeuuwww... okay... Eeeuuuwwww....

Btw, try le goreng pisang masak....

Sheik said...

Kebetulan aku tergoreng pisang tanduk yang termasak minggu lepas.

Sedap rupanya, walaupun banyak minyak terserap

EuWWW...aku pun dah minat pisang masak goreng!

knv said...

oh saya suka goreng pisang lembik!

bestt!!!!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Pekatkan sikit tepung tu.... ..Tapi mmg sedapkan ... Tapi kalau sedap apasal Euuuww.... ?

Sheik said...

EuuWWW..rasa geli pada diri sendiri..hahaha

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Kah Kah !!

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Ana... best kan ? Manis...

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

aku tak der la gomoi2 dgn laki.. but we call each other by nama jer.. ada sekali tu aku TERsasul panggil dia 'yang' (actually aku nak panggil balqis) and he looked at me dgn mata terjegel besaq and asked "huh? yang? ko biar btul?"

muahahaha..

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Dia prefer darling kot Konot... Tak pun Ling je.... Keh keh